View Full Version : windows 98 and Mac Networking

whackaxe
06-20-2005, 07:53 PM
Ok, so as some of you may know, i've got a mac mini (with airport) in the post, the thing is that ive just thought about connection sharing. at the moment i have a win98 computer connected via a bright green sting ray shaped USB modem from Alcatel.

the problem is that i wron't be able to wire my Mac to the Win98 comp (which doesn't have a NIC anyway) and i don't want to rely on it being on to connect to the net anyways, so i thought about buying one of these:
http://www.netgear.com/products/details/DG834G.php
and a ethernet card for the win98 comp. I just want to know which of the following things i will be able to do with this router

-Share Internet Connection?
-Be compatible with my ISP (wanadoo france who are starting to give everyone the AOL treatment with 'connection kit' programs)
-Share Files over the network?
-Be able to Execute prorams on the other computer? (for IE testing :D)?
only the first two are really essential

Is this a solution or should I think about invading my neighbours Wifi:p?

JamieR
06-20-2005, 08:19 PM
-Share Internet Connection? < yes
-Be compatible with my ISP (wanadoo france who are starting to give everyone the AOL treatment with 'connection kit' programs) < yes
-Share Files over the network? < yes
-Be able to Execute prorams on the other computer? (for IE testing :D)?
only the first two are really essential < not sure, think so but wouldn't you have to use something like Remote Desktop for Mac or something so you can remotly control your windows pc?

EZ Archive Ads Plugin for vBulletin Copyright 2006 Computer Help Forum