View Full Version : Linux Help

obiwanjabroni
06-20-2005, 08:45 PM
Anyone know of the command line for copying all files of a certain extension inside a folder and all its sub directories to another location while maintaining the directory tree? Thanks in advance.

Fashong
06-20-2005, 08:50 PM
maybe something like this..

cp /dir/*.mp3 /whereyouwantittogo

that * means everything with the extension .mp3

Spookster
06-21-2005, 07:53 AM
you will want to use

cp -r /sourcedirectory /targetdirectory

the r option tells it to copy recursively in that directory so it will grab all the sub directorys and then copy the entire structure to whatever target directory you specify

obiwanjabroni
06-21-2005, 03:11 PM
Okay, it will copy the entire folder, but what I want to do is copy only certain files of a certain extension.

So in directory /usr/home/me/bigProject, I want to copy all files of extension *.m to location /usr/home/me/bigProjectBackup, while preserving the relative location of files.

Spookster
06-22-2005, 05:48 AM
Ahh I see. It would probably be easier to just copy everything and then do a recursive search/delete for all files that you don't want.

obiwanjabroni
06-22-2005, 10:49 PM
Yeah, that's what I told the boss. Let's say I have a very stubborn boss. Thanks for the help, I wrote a program "amv" that uses a bunch of system calls to get the job done.

On the off chance anyone else may find it useful, I will post the link on this thread at a later point in time.

EZ Archive Ads Plugin for vBulletin Copyright 2006 Computer Help Forum