View Full Version : Usb Ports

Crake
06-14-2005, 07:33 PM
hello my usb ports are broken and i was wondering how much "roughly" and would cost to get new ones and get them replaced

im not asking for a exact price as i know that everyone has different but i would like to know how much roughly it would cost roughly

thanks

Exis
06-14-2005, 07:59 PM
Here is the one I would recommend because its cheap and it offers 4 usb ports: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16815124008

There are alot of cool looking drive-bay (like where your cd rom goes) USB/fan controllers too. For a full list of items like this, sorted by lowest price first, go here: http://www.newegg.com/Product/ProductList.asp?Submit=GO&Range=1&bop=and&description=usb+ports&Order=price&CompareItemList=

JamieR
06-14-2005, 10:00 PM
How do you mean broken Steve? If they are front-panel ones then they might have just become disconnected or something, however if they are on a PCI card or are onboard your mobo, then you will have to replace them with a new PCI card. You can get a 4 port PCI USB 2.0 card for about 15-20 :)

Jamie.

Crake
06-14-2005, 10:38 PM
there on the back of the tower in the p.c both of them dont work :mad:

Exis
06-14-2005, 10:54 PM
Hmm, well if they are connected to your motherboard (not on a card), then you will need to buy a whole new motherboard to replace them or take it to a shop and get it repaired for alot of money. Save yourself alot of time/money/hassle and just get one of the cards that I linked to. They should be incredibly easy to install, so no worries on that end. If you aren't totally computer savy, and this is your first time opening the tower, here is how to intall a PCI card

http://www.pcguide.com/byop/byop_InstallingPCIExpansionCards.htm

Hope that helps.

JamieR
06-15-2005, 12:26 AM
Yeah PCI cards are cheap and dead easy to install ;)

LaOla
06-20-2005, 04:55 PM
You may want to check if they got disabled in the bios by accident :)

JamieR
06-20-2005, 04:58 PM
You may want to check if they got disabled in the bios by accident :)

Maybe, but I doubt that he's been playing in the BIOS ;)

Welcome to CF LaOla :)

oracleguy
06-20-2005, 05:01 PM
Unless something like a power failure tripped something in the BIOS and it loaded the fail-safe defaults, its a reach, I know but it wouldn't be a bad thing to check before he goes out and buys new ones. Because the ports on a PCI card aren't going to be as fast as the ones on the board which are tied right into the chipset.

Crake
06-20-2005, 05:43 PM
:thumbsup: im not to good when it comes to taking apart computers i onlt been getting into computers about year ago and im 14 years old....any online sites to help me out?

JamieR
06-20-2005, 05:45 PM
:thumbsup: im not to good when it comes to taking apart computers i onlt been getting into computers about year ago and im 14 years old....any online sites to help me out?

Yeah they are a few around lol

I started taking PCs apart and building old ones out of used parts as a learning resource (they did work ;)) when I was 13 :)

Crake
06-20-2005, 06:21 PM
ok cool thankjs

any links? :D

EZ Archive Ads Plugin for vBulletin Copyright 2006 Computer Help Forum