View Full Version : Please review, Thanks

06-12-2005, 12:07 AM
Hi everyone,

I would appreciate greatly your comments / opinions about a website I had built last year. The original content was in a older site which I had made about 4 years ago and basically last year I 'ported' everything to a new design.

The site originally started out as the offical site of a philharmonic society but is now also the site of a (mostly religious) community. Most visitors are pleased with the design, but I want a more professional opinion ;)

IMHO, this probably isn't the best site out there :D , but this summer I will try to improve it a lot so I would really like valuable comments and suggestions on the design and possible improvements. (Please dont look at the source code coz it needs a good clean up :D ) - there are also some small incompatibleities with firefox I think.

The address is: www.bandasantamarija.com (http://www.bandasantamarija.com)

All comments are welcome,Thanks.

06-12-2005, 12:12 AM
It's nice and professional, well done!

I'm not sure if it's a bit cluttered and busy for my liking but I really can't keep myself on the site for long... Feels like it needs some room to breathe if that makes sense!

I also don't like the fact you've replaced the status bar text and replaced the context menu.

(....And yes your code is a big mess :eek: )

06-12-2005, 12:25 AM
I quite like it....however I'm not too sure on the splash page and the large amount of blue :p

When you say don't look at the code because it needs a good tidy up, I couldn't resist having a peek lol - I'd re code the whole lot personally. Also you need a dtd. :)

I like the menu on the left and it's ability to transition between link categories, however there is padding/space on the left and not on the right.

Overall the site looks nice, however as Mark said it does feel a little squashed.

06-12-2005, 12:48 AM
Thanks Mark & Weazel,

About it being cluttered / squashed..yes I think you are right. The reason for that is that orginally I had just a small site in mind, with a few pages and a couple of galleries. However, you know, everyone keeps saying "add a page about this and another page about that" and the site has literally 'grown out' of the design. I think it needs a good overall restructuring.

Thanks for liking the menu ;) coz I've worked a lot on it hehe.

Single Paradox
06-12-2005, 06:18 AM
WOW! I'd say one of the best sites I've reviewed on coding forums... Oh well the code needs tidying, it is still functional. Oh and about not working in Fire Fox, I noticed the menu is semi-transparent, to get that effect in Firefox, just have the background image for the menu a semi transparent png. I LOVE THE SITE!!! Good work, good work. I like the context menu, too bad it doesn't work in Firefox. I like the fact that nothing is static. I hate sites where a link doesn't move or change color at least when it is moved over on. Overall, veerry good work :thumbsup:

06-12-2005, 01:59 PM
Thanks for the positive comments :thumbsup:

Has anyone noticed (what I call) the 'easy scroll' feature ? basically if you move your mouse to the very top and bottom parts of any page (except splash page), the page scrolls automatically. do you thinks it's usefull or annoying ? should the scrolling be faster ?

Also what about the local search engine? there is a link [search this site] on the main page (also available from the context menu). I tried to make it as dynamic as possible. what do you think?

(note: these work only in IE for now :( )

Actually in this site I tried to play a bit with javascript, sort of to experiment a bit, so I added many of these small 'features' but at the same time i tried to hide them to the unexpirienced web user (the main audiance of this site are not computer experts)

(link: www.bandasantamarija.com (http://www.bandasantamarija.com))

Single Paradox
06-12-2005, 07:31 PM
<strike>Sorry... I didn't catch the easy scroll feature. How does it work?</strike>

Now I see it! That's pretty spiffy. I can tell you are an expierienced javascripter.

Single Paradox
06-12-2005, 07:33 PM
Oh, I was just looking at the "search this site" feature... I think it is very well done =)