View Full Version : P2P File Sharing Programs

Gavin Crumpen
06-10-2005, 09:51 PM
1) Does anyone know any p2p programs that are ad-ware and spyware free?

2) If the p2p program is 100% legal, does that mean that whatever you download is 100% legal?

Antone with answers please reply, many thanks.
:)

JamieR
06-10-2005, 09:57 PM
No P2P programs are legal in the sense that what you would be downloading from them is unlicenced and illegal.

Gavin Crumpen
06-10-2005, 09:58 PM
Okay, thanks once again mate :D

mark87
06-10-2005, 10:50 PM
Well, WinMX and Kazaa Lite are adware/spyware-free, although I doubt you could download much on them what wouldn't be infringing on copyrights!

Check out the Bit-torrent protocol - Used to download perfectly legal things (sometimes) such as freeware (Linux ISO's) etc. - Most, if not all, clients are ad/spyware free.

JamieR
06-10-2005, 11:01 PM
Limewire Pro is clean of malware..well so is Limewire free ed.

jkd
06-10-2005, 11:09 PM
P2P programs are legal. Downloading copyrighted material isn't. If you're on OSX, Poisoned is a great P2P app. And Azureus is a good BitTorrent client.

whackaxe
06-10-2005, 11:17 PM
http://www.aresgalaxy.org/

very fast

JamieR
06-10-2005, 11:34 PM
I have:

Azereus,
Ares,
Shareaza,
Limewire Pro
Bearshare Pro,
Bit comet
:)

_Aerospace_Eng_
06-10-2005, 11:38 PM
A guy in the states was arrested because he was using Kazaa, that he paid 30 dollars for, and had like 500 songs. No laywer would defend him because they knew he would lose in court. To settle in court would have been like 40000 dollars but out of court was only 3700. They said it was illegal because it was connecting to a persons computer rather than a server like Napster does.

JamieR
06-10-2005, 11:42 PM
oh 'eck :eek:

enumerator
06-11-2005, 12:19 AM
I'd venture to bet that "out of production" material is up for grabs... can't buy it retail anymore, so P2P is acutally "trading" then, isn't it?

JamieR
06-11-2005, 09:45 AM
Yeah, legacy software which has been taken out of production or is now unsupported...I think thats ok to download as the software vendor couldn't give a monkies about it :p

whackaxe
06-11-2005, 11:17 AM
it takes years for things to enter public domain. books is 150 years i think and music is about 50 (although the music industry is lobbying to make this longer or the Beatles will go public domain (on some of their material in any case) in 8-9 years and the recording company still wants to milk it. even unsupported nd legacy programs are protected under copyrigh. look a macromedia, theyre still selling fontographer!

JamieR
06-11-2005, 11:23 AM
look a macromedia, theyre still selling fontographer!

Well true in that respect. However aren't Macromedia going to release a new version or did they officially discontinue it?

scroots
06-11-2005, 07:47 PM
i don't use p2p software anymore i do it in person. Me and my mates hookup are laptops and stuff to each other or burn are collections and swap with each other. As i know none of my friends work for the RIAA or anyone like that its all good, well still not legal but unlikely to get caught by people who are going to prosecute you.

scroots

JamieR
06-11-2005, 07:50 PM
I've been doing that with my mate - I got my laptop and hooked it up to his PC and then transfered about 10GB of music from his to mine to add to my collection :p

jkd
06-11-2005, 08:11 PM
Going off-topic with illegal activity. Both not things we encourage here.

Gavin Crumpen
06-11-2005, 09:31 PM
I think it was on thursday on GMTV, that a load of families were fined 2000 becuase their children were downloading illegal music from p2p file sharing programes. To be honest, I think that thats a bit harsh. They should be fined say 200 for a first offence, then the 2000 fine if they continue to download illegaly. I think that the parents should check to see what their children get up to on the internet.

JamieR
06-11-2005, 09:36 PM
Nah......still too much IMO. Downloading a few music tracks? That isn't exactly going to damage the record industry is it? After all, what percentage of the money made from record sales ACTUALLY go to the artist?

Gavin Crumpen
06-11-2005, 09:40 PM
Thats a good point, however, if everyone in the UK downloads 5 music tracks a year:

62,000,000 People (aprox.) x 5 = 310,000,000 Tracks Downloaded Illegaly

Thats quite alot of money that the record companies loose.

Jamie, what does
IMO mean?

JamieR
06-11-2005, 09:48 PM
IMO

...In my Opinion :p

Gavin Crumpen
06-11-2005, 09:49 PM
Thanks ;)

whackaxe
06-12-2005, 10:20 AM
Well true in that respect. However aren't Macromedia going to release a new version or did they officially discontinue it?

well now it seems to have disapeared completly off the macrmedia site. they could have released it as free :p

JamieR
06-12-2005, 10:28 AM
well now it seems to have disapeared completly off the macrmedia site. they could have released it as free :p

that would have been nice...:D but all these companies such as Microsh*t and Macromedia make millions out of ordinary people like you and me and then want even more money......:eek:

evo
06-13-2005, 03:47 PM
Weazel the little things count, the little things add up when you multiply them by a few million.

Stealing tracks (you never paid for them, so therefore this is what you have done which you stated), software, and so forth causes major reprocussions. The fact that you, a codingforums.com member is contributing and advertising your actions of theft, is not only shameful, but disrespectful.

what percentage of the money made from record sales ACTUALLY go to the artist

Microsoft and record labels alike and the likes charge people what they do because they are in it to make money, and to compensate for people like you who resort to the theft of their intellectual property.

Microsh*t and Macromedia make millions out of ordinary people like you and me

It is Microsoft. As for being ordinary, you cannot be ordinary if you choose to resort to theft, you along with all others who use p2p would in my opinion be classed far from ordiinary and far below it. They are there to make money, and why you have a problem with that is beyond me.

This is not intended as a flamed post. Simply a mere warning.

JamieR
06-13-2005, 05:29 PM
Hey Evo,

I'm not into stealing software, not really. I know that I sometimes say bad things about Microsoft etc, but at the end of the day where would we be? I respect their software and the organizations behind different pieces of software and always try to purchase licences for software when I can.

I see your point about stealing music - I admit I have done it, but I do have over 150 legititamitly purchaed CDs. I am not proud that I have stolen stuff off p2p before, but after all I was not the only member on this forum that said that they do it....

Well I don't want to make myself look shameful or disrespectal towards this forum. I love this place, and the last thing I would want is to bring shame on this forum....I know I have, but I regret it :)

Regards,

Jamie.

enumerator
06-13-2005, 05:56 PM
it takes years for things to enter public domain. books is 150 years i think and music is about 50 (although the music industry is lobbying to make this longer or the Beatles will go public domain (on some of their material in any case) in 8-9 years and the recording company still wants to milk it.
Yeah, The Beatles is one thing, and then we have all of the "no hit wonders"... songs which will never be distributed again, and can't be found anywhere else (I've spent years looking, before...). If the powers that be will punish regardless, then they had better "restock" the commercial domain.

EZ Archive Ads Plugin for vBulletin Copyright 2006 Computer Help Forum