View Full Version : wireless networking plan/feasibility

06-07-2005, 12:34 AM
So I've been giving some thought as to the best and cheapest way to set up a wireless network. The only problem is that 1) I have a bunch of macs 2) I have dial-up. I know that the airport has a dial up port, but other than that specific router, which is pretty exspensive, would there be any other way to set up such a network on macs. I know most wireless routers don't use the dial-up and that the signal would be slow due to the dial up, but could I use one main computer to dial in, and then use the ethernet port on the computer to send a signal to a wireless router such as a linksys, or netgear? My thoughts is that it would work... would it detect the signal, or do you think I might need a crossover cable to make the computer and router think that they are directly connected. I'm not so sure it would work either way as I'm not very proficient with macs.

06-07-2005, 06:55 PM
i'm not sure if it works with macs, but you can on pc's create and ad hoc network, which requires no based station or router.

for an ad-hoc network all you need is the wireless cards.

when i wasn't sure about the wireless setup i needed i went to the shop i was buying thw gear from (maplin) and they gave me some advice and helped me out a lot.

06-08-2005, 02:05 AM
Before I start, I haven't actually created a wireless network on mac's but the theory should be the same.

Each PC would need a wireless card (802.11g - 54MB)

You would then need a wireless router which can connect either directly to the main pc or through the modem (most likely will have to be connected via your non-wireless network card on your main pc)

I prefer linksys over netgear but both would work