View Full Version : Clearing cache in IE?

michael180
06-05-2005, 08:12 PM
Does anybody out there know how to clear the cache in that god-awfull IE 6.0 for Windows. I hate it so much, but I have to check to see how it's destroying my page designs. So I need to clear the cache. God, I hate Microsoft!

Thanks,
Michael

JamieR
06-05-2005, 08:20 PM
tools > internet options >

then under the general tab there are buttons for clearing temp. internet files, cookies and internet history. :)

HTH

Dunna
06-06-2005, 12:30 AM
If you have microsoft antispyware you can clean it from there too

JoshuaCurtiss
06-13-2005, 04:49 PM
Who is the stupid one now, Willy.

It should be:
<drive letter>:\Documents and Settings\*\local settings\Temporary Internet Files\

And be warned that that command will delete all cookies too, which is an effect you may not want.

Josh

JamieR
06-13-2005, 05:09 PM
....or you can just do it through IEvil itself. I know of a few apps which do it for you as well.

mark87
06-13-2005, 11:52 PM
michael180, you could always CTRL+Refresh to re-cache the current page.

yamoo
06-14-2005, 01:05 AM
I hate MS to >:(
Thats why I'm gonna buy a mac soon.
Until then, I will use knoppix! :)

evo
06-14-2005, 08:27 AM
Just check that your settings have "Check for newer versions of a stored page" is marked "every visit to the page" in your internet options.

Personally, I've never had an issue with IE caching problems.

_Aerospace_Eng_
06-14-2005, 08:31 AM
I have, especially with flash. It seems to keep the older versions of the flash files.

Willy Duitt
06-14-2005, 09:44 AM
Who is the stupid one now, Willy.

It should be:
<drive letter>:\Documents and Settings\*\local settings\Temporary Internet Files\

And be warned that that command will delete all cookies too, which is an effect you may not want.

Josh

Do you really want me to answer that??? :p

FWIW: You're close but what you posted is not the true IE cache...

It is really located:
<drive letter>:\Documents and Settings\*\local settings\Temporary Internet Files\Content.IE5

The DOS command I previously posted will remove the files in this hidden directory and truly clear the cache... But the O/P would be better off using Crap Cleaner which would clear the index.dat file as well...

.....Willy

JamieR
06-14-2005, 12:17 PM
or stop using IE alltogether and take up use of something like Firefox.

EZ Archive Ads Plugin for vBulletin Copyright 2006 Computer Help Forum