View Full Version : So... Where did you learn how to code?

Vapor
05-31-2005, 07:24 PM
So, where did you learn how to code?

squirellplaying
05-31-2005, 07:57 PM
School. After learning javascript I've learned php with mysql by myself. Java was taught this year in school.

JamieR
05-31-2005, 08:26 PM
Well I learnt out of sheer curiousity and trial/error and copying other peoples tutorials and examples. I mainly reside doing XHTML/CSS stuff, however I'm increasing my knowledge in PHP pretty fast ;)

We did stuff at school, but we haven't done anything decent when it comes to web design....tables and crap like that so I just sit there hand coding :p

whackaxe
05-31-2005, 09:54 PM
i remember the first code (ok HTML) i wrote was when i opened an account with a free webhost which had a WYSIWYG editor, but it was naff. but in the corner there was "Use HTML". what is this HTML they speak of i thought? ive been finding out for the last 7 years :)

...{chris}...
06-01-2005, 10:17 PM
HTML: Self, then class
CSS: Self
Actionscript/Javascript: Teaching myself currrently

_chrisxx

scroots
06-01-2005, 10:44 PM
I started building my first site before i got the net. I found javascriptkit.com and used snippets to add bits to my site. I had curosity and the trial/error approach. I learnt javascript, then ASP, i decided ASP was useless to me so i started learning php and mysql.

I learn by research (looking stuff up where needed), thinking and trying it.

scroots

Grant Palin
06-01-2005, 11:41 PM
Started with VB in a computer class in high school. Piqued a little interest in programming. Started learning HTML on my own to create a website. Got interested in websites. Took a Java class at college. Really interested in programming then, so enrolled in the Computer Systems Technology program at the same college. Just finished, and am now a professional programmer/analyst!

Learned a lot in college...

Java
C/C++
Perl
ASP.Net with VB.Net
Assembly
Scheme, Prolog

Also learned a lot on own...

HTML/CSS/Javascript
Classic ASP
PHP

JamieR
06-02-2005, 12:28 AM
When I was in year 8 (2 years ago) there were these kids who at the time knew a little bit more than me....FP extensions, crap like that. Because they used to take the piss about me knowing nothing, it drove me to learn what I do now. I'm now fairly proficient in XHTML/CSS and know a fair bit of PHP..well I'll come clean, only a little but, but I'm getting better with it ;)

I now rant to them about web standards etc :D

Basscyst
06-02-2005, 01:26 AM
Here and W3Schools. Webmonkey gave me my first Javascript tutorial though, long ago (Thau is the man). Then miscellaneous other sites for the bit of languages, that are not covered in the fore mentioned.

Basscyst

Celtboy
06-02-2005, 04:14 AM
At home on my Commodore 64. Making birds flap their wings. Then BASIC on 8088. Thank you mom.

-Celt

Gavin Crumpen
06-10-2005, 09:15 PM
When I was in year 8 (2 years ago) there were these kids who at the time knew a little bit more than me....FP extensions, crap like that. Because they used to take the piss about me knowing nothing, it drove me to learn what I do now. I'm now fairly proficient in XHTML/CSS and know a fair bit of PHP..well I'll come clean, only a little but, but I'm getting better with it ;)

I now rant to them about web standards etc :D

I got interested in coding when that was all that Jamie would talk about in school. So I asked him to help me, (a bit ;) ). We designed a website for our school (http://www.students-voice.co.uk). And now, i know a fair bit bit of XHTML and CSS.

Thanks Jamie, i wouldn't have started coding without your help. Cheers mate! :thumbsup:

JamieR
06-10-2005, 09:28 PM
Well I'm glad I've helped you Gav...I'm sure that isn't the *only* thing I talk about lol, I'm not *that* much of a geek :p

Gavin Crumpen
06-10-2005, 09:36 PM
Well, I suppose you dont just talk about coding. if your not, then you are talking about food, or Computers. :p. Your not the geek, i am! ;) lol.

JamieR
06-10-2005, 09:39 PM
Your not the geek, i am! ;) lol.

You're good at maths, I'm not ;)

Anyhoo, I want to learn more PHP over the summer in between studing and doing other stuff which will probably be either web, IT or school related. I'm, as I said above, fairly confident in XHTML and CSS, but I let myself down with PHP I feel. Having said that, I wouldn't mind getting into one of the dotNet languages, such as vB.NET or Visual C++.

Jamie.

Gavin Crumpen
06-10-2005, 09:43 PM
I also want to learn some C++, If you dig into our pockets, (very, very deep :p ) we might be able to buy our own visual c++ software :D. Student licence of course. Our we could go to a *coding club* to learn c++. Do you know anywhere where you can learn it?

_Aerospace_Eng_
06-11-2005, 10:30 AM
I learned C my freshman year of college. We get licenses to Microsoft Visual Studio, its pretty cool. We also get licenses to the latest OS's, *waits for Longhorn.*

JamieR
06-11-2005, 10:37 AM
I learned C my freshman year of college. We get licenses to Microsoft Visual Studio, its pretty cool. We also get licenses to the latest OS's, *waits for Longhorn.*

Lucky sod :D

_Aerospace_Eng_
06-11-2005, 10:43 AM
Lucky sod :D
you mean 'Lucky sob'? :p

JamieR
06-11-2005, 10:45 AM
lol :D

I know an academic licence of MS Visual Studio isn't exactly loads, but you still get it for free :p

_Aerospace_Eng_
06-11-2005, 10:47 AM
Academic licenses of MVS for you or me? Who said anything about it being academic? Its the full version. It comes with the msdn libraries to.

JamieR
06-11-2005, 10:49 AM
ahh yeah but there isn't a great deal difference between the academic version and the professional version. With VS Academic you get the professional version just on an academic licence (or atleast I think that how it works) :p

gsoft
06-12-2005, 06:56 AM
I firstly learnt with QBasic and HTML in school it wasnt advanced and then started teaching myself from things online as I started to really enjoy it. Now its books, self taught, code/check/problem solve/fix

EZ Archive Ads Plugin for vBulletin Copyright 2006 Computer Help Forum