View Full Version : Graphics Software (I need some)

Vapor
05-27-2005, 07:47 PM
I need to add some graphics to my site, and I would like to make my own. Problem is I know that I wont use the software enough to get my money's worth out of the software. Is there a paint program or any such tool that can help me make graphics/logos etc... on my site for free or cheap? If so, it better be better than microsofts paint program. That thing is aweful.

Thanks,

-Vapor

JamieR
05-27-2005, 07:56 PM
I say Macromedia Fireworks and Adobe Photoshop CS/CS2 - very powerful. However if you don't want to pay god-knows-how-much for a PS licence, then you can get Jasc Paint Shop Pro which is a lot cheaper and has less features which would cover the needs of a user which doesn't require all the advanced features of something like Photoshop.

The is also the Gimp - www.gimp.org which is free.

Jamie.

Vapor
05-27-2005, 09:38 PM
I kind of expected free or near free paint/graphic programs to be slim to none. I just can't get myself to pay for paintshop pro (even though it's a sweet program).

Well, I'll get what I take.
Thanks

dannyhayes
05-27-2005, 09:46 PM
Fireworks and Photoshop CS would be my suggestions they are the most used and documented graphics software.

JamieR
05-27-2005, 10:05 PM
I heard the GIMP was very good and a free alternative to Photoshop but I haven't tried it myself.

chilipie
05-28-2005, 09:47 AM
Apparently the GIMP's interface is awful, but I've never used it either.

whackaxe
05-28-2005, 10:17 AM
as much as I pimp it (as you can see in my sig) the GIMPs GUI is appauling. its not a standard win32 gui, because it runs off a program galled GTK+ which allows easy GUI creation. aside from that, the console erors which pop up from tiem to time and some bugs with selections and filters anit-aliasing. its a freat product. and free. it's my main graphics tool for the minute, but i'm saving up for PSCS2

otherwise for around 100$ you can get Photoshop elements which is a reduced version of photoshop but if you're not working with grpahics professionally then its got all you need

JamieR
05-28-2005, 10:27 AM
Yeah I've seen the screenshots of it :eek:

I've heard it is good, but as I say, never used it so I can't vouch for it's usefulness

dannyhayes
05-28-2005, 10:51 AM
Gimp looks horrible user interface wise but it could be ok.

JamieR
05-28-2005, 10:54 AM
well after all, it's free :eek:

dannyhayes
05-28-2005, 10:57 AM
Thats what you get then for free software a rubbish user interface.
With photoshop cs and fireworks atleast you get a nice user interface

JamieR
05-28-2005, 11:36 AM
A lot of free software I know of have nice user friendly UI's, however as the old saying goes "you get what you pay for" :)

dannyhayes
05-28-2005, 11:51 AM
Exactly I prefer to "pay" for software.

little_toaster
05-28-2005, 12:11 PM
if your just getting into graphics Photoshop CS is a 60 day trial.

and macromedia fireworks mx is about the same free trial period.

thats the 2 top packages , which both work very similiarly.

so u have free web graphic/photo software for afew month!

p.s im not condoning this but u can get a crack for both of these!<fireworks easier to crack)

JamieR
05-28-2005, 12:18 PM
p.s im not condoning this but u can get a crack for both of these!<fireworks easier to crack)

Yes you can, however I'm not going to say any more on this idea of cracking graphics software as its against teh posting guidelines :)

Vapor
05-31-2005, 07:00 PM

Well, I'm not trying to obtain an illegal version of software. I just wondered what was out there.

I do, however, agree that you get what you pay for, so any free software is probably very basic.

Grant Palin
05-31-2005, 09:10 PM
You could look on eBay for graphics software for sale. I got Photoshop 6 (the real deal, not a copy) for about $50 - great deal! Just be careful about the possibility of getting copied or cracked software. But if you're careful about it, you could get some good deals.

EZ Archive Ads Plugin for vBulletin Copyright 2006 Computer Help Forum