View Full Version : Send ASCII string to serial port via Javascript?

05-26-2005, 06:59 AM
Hi all,

I use JScript to create highly-portable applications involving part marking equipment (Dot Peen, industrial ink jets, etc.). This type of equipment is generally drive via ASCII control character strings that are send down a common serial port.

In the past, I've done this via a link to a DOS .bat file which copies a .txt file to the com port. Does anyone know of a simple JScript method to perform this com port string copy without the use of .bat files?

Thanks for any ideas.

Mr J
05-26-2005, 03:08 PM
Javascript cannot do this

05-26-2005, 03:54 PM
aren't you still able to do it via batch files? why do you need to do via the browser anyways?

06-01-2005, 03:21 AM
I've come to accept my current *.bat file approach as adequate for now. Thanks for your help in identifying the limits of Javascript.

As for why I use the browser interface... my users ultimately are production workers, machinists.... normal people rather than PC-savy programming types. I've found that the browser interface is one which they are most comfortable with. Plus, it's easier to email *.htm files rather than executables with *.dll files and the endless questions related to software installation, compatibility, etc.

Thanks again to all for their help in clarifying what's possible with simple javascript.