View Full Version : ip address

Vapor
05-25-2005, 09:52 PM
Is it possible to keep the same ip address each time I dial-up on internet? I have a web server on my pc, and you can access the website my typing in my ip in the url, but since everytime I dial-up my ip changes and my "url" always changes.

Anything I can do? Or am I tough out of luck?

marek_mar
05-25-2005, 10:17 PM
Apart from the problems of hosting anyting on dial-up. You can't always get the same IP becouse if you arwe not using it it may be given to another dial-up user. You could try www.dyndns.org and see if it works with dial-up's (I don't think it does).

JamieR
05-25-2005, 10:18 PM
What's your internet connection type? You need a ISP which supports having a static IP. I don't think there is a way to keep the IP the same without having a static (dynamic) IP address.

mark87
05-25-2005, 10:25 PM
I'm sure I used DynDNS before when I had dialup - it runs a program on your computer which updates your IP when you connect I think? That way you just have one domain name to remember, not an IP.

Vapor
05-25-2005, 10:46 PM
cool, thank you. I'll give it a try sometime.

oracleguy
05-26-2005, 07:40 PM
What's your internet connection type? You need a ISP which supports having a static IP. I don't think there is a way to keep the IP the same without having a static (dynamic) IP address.

He said he was on dial-up so I'd seriously doubt any ISP offers static IPs for dial-up users.

JamieR
05-26-2005, 07:43 PM
Oh yeah
I've heard about running a webserver from home over a DSL connection, but not dialup.

He needs to get a broadband connection with a static ip, then he can look into a DSL webserver (www.dslwebserver.com)

Jamie.

whackaxe
05-26-2005, 10:09 PM
you could probably get a real good shared hosting plan for much less than your dial-up bill will be each month.

JamieR
05-26-2005, 10:21 PM
true.......why go to the expense of setting up a webserver when you can have a remote webserver pretty cheaply per month which would be a lot less hassle :)

Vapor
05-26-2005, 10:51 PM
Alright then,

Where can I get a fairly cheap host?

I don't know much about hosting other then using a webserver on your on pc.

Do I have to have my own domain? Or will I get a domain when I sign up for hosting?

JamieR
05-26-2005, 10:53 PM
You usually have to buy the domain seperatly, well I had to - but it all goes on the final bill :)

Erm it depends on how much disk space etc you need to tell you a rough price - however Ithium are fairly cheap, so are Web Mania (http://www.web-mania.co.uk) (the people who I host with..however their plan is fairly limited)

whackaxe
05-27-2005, 08:26 PM
drop by http://www.webhostingtalk.com/ before you choose your host to background chem them first

EZ Archive Ads Plugin for vBulletin Copyright 2006 Computer Help Forum