View Full Version : CSS Inheritance

mlse
05-25-2005, 04:24 PM
Hi.

I am still relatively new to the art of making things looking pretty using CSS (I am more used to doing the back-end nuts-and-bolts programming stuff!).

I am having a wonderfull time trying to establish which style sheet properties are inherited and which are not! I noticed some funnies in a few test pages that I had written, so I decided to do a test - and I discovered that certain style sheet properties which are documented as not being inherited do, infact, appear to be inherited! :mad: :mad: :mad:

Furthermore, some of the documentation that I have read actually contradicts itself!!!!! :confused: :confused: :confused:

My query is twofold:

(1) Is there a CSS specification document (in the same way that there is the ANSI standard for C compilers) which I can 100% trust?

(2) Is there any way of manually controlling the inheritance of style sheet properties when defining a style sheet? (e.g. - I might want to make text-transform inherited in one instance, but not in another).

TIA,
Mike

mlse
05-25-2005, 04:30 PM
I am having a read of the CSS specifications which appear in the pinned post at the top of this forum on CSS documentation. (which answers my question 1).

I notice there are 3 CSS standards - is it a simply a case that CSS3 supersedes CSS2, etc, or should I be picking the one that best suits my application? If so, how do I chose which one to use?

My question 2 is still pending ... :rolleyes:

TIA again,
Mike.

gsnedders
05-25-2005, 06:51 PM
CSS3 is still a working draft, so it is not a recommendation, so browsers support extremely little of it, that said, no browser has full support of CSS 2.1, which should be used, as it is the latest recommendation, and is mostly supported.

ronaldb66
05-25-2005, 11:01 PM
Inheritance is actually the thing most browsers pretty much get right; if you can supply some specific cases to examine, maybe we can help out.

As Geoffrey (Error 404) already mentioned, CSS level 2 revision 1 (or CSS 2.1) is your best bet, even though it still is a candidate recommendation, but it contains most properties modern browsers actually support whereas CSS 2, although being a "full" recommendation, contains a number of properties no browser ever bothered to support (and which were dropped in revision 1).

EZ Archive Ads Plugin for vBulletin Copyright 2006 Computer Help Forum