View Full Version : Combination WebCore/Gecko browser

jkd
05-21-2005, 07:19 AM
I need a summer project. That said, the recent release of Netscape 8 is an interesting hybrid of Win/IE and Gecko. Having been working with Cocoa lately, it would be really, really easy to combine WebView and CHBrowserView (WebCore and Gecko wrappers) into a similar application. e.g. "Open link in Safari tab" versus "Open link in Gecko tab" is almost trivial to do.

My question is if any web developers on macs would be interested. Because WebCore compatibility with websites is about on par with Gecko compatibility, you can't get away with Netscape's explanation that it helps compatibility. Rather, it would be a browser optimized for web developers, with features designed with a developer in mind. I don't expect it would replace Camino or Safari, but be more like a tool. Perhaps with an NSTextView-based editor (open in WebCore, open in Gecko, open in Editor maybe). Or maybe focus the program to be more like an editor, with embedded preview panes. Whatever.

Anyhoo, post your thoughts. If there's interest, I'll try to push out a release in a few weeks. Suggestions are good too.

gsnedders
05-21-2005, 10:48 AM
I would be intrested in an editor combining them, as IMO being a browser wouldn't be so helpful.

Couple of suggestions: Have the previews in Drawer windows
Use WebCore 2
Use Gecko 1.7

and that's about it...

brothercake
05-21-2005, 11:17 PM
Certainly sounds interesting, though tbh I mostly use Opera, with Saf and FF for testing only when necessary.

Now if you could make those engines available as services in Opera .. that would get my attention :D

jkd
05-22-2005, 02:42 AM
Certainly sounds interesting, though tbh I mostly use Opera, with Saf and FF for testing only when necessary.

Now if you could make those engines available as services in Opera .. that would get my attention :D

Services in Opera? Not familiar with an Opera Service...

brothercake
05-23-2005, 04:11 PM
Er.. I meant the services menu is OSX - isn't that for this kind of thing?

I'm speaking from ignorance though - I'm not really sure what the services menu is supposed to do - it doesn't appear to do anything.

jkd
05-23-2005, 07:23 PM
Oh... I already do have "Open in Camino" and "Open in Safari" in my Services menu when I'm browsing in Opera. Dunno how that worked out though. :)

EZ Archive Ads Plugin for vBulletin Copyright 2006 Computer Help Forum