View Full Version : Construct Network

jaywhy13
05-19-2005, 04:30 PM
Ok... I live in a home where we have to pc's and we have a modem that gives us ADSL. The modem has four different ports where we can connect our network cables to get the ADSL internet connection.

Is there a way that I can setup a network where I am the administrator and I have some control over the connection. As it is, we cannot share files directly.. I have win2000 Pro

JamieR
05-19-2005, 04:56 PM
What type of ADSL modem do you have? With a ADSL router you can plug all your computers straight into it via LAN and then you can set the router and your computers up via the router's remote administration panel. You will be able to share files etc :)

HTH

jaywhy13
05-31-2005, 05:44 PM
What type of ADSL modem do you have? With a ADSL router you can plug all your computers straight into it via LAN and then you can set the router and your computers up via the router's remote administration panel. You will be able to share files etc :)

HTH

I not sure how to answer that question but here's wot i know... its a speedtouch modem and its got four slots at the back where we can plug in our network cables and the telephone line also has a slot at the back as well...

Can I do anything with that

JamieR
05-31-2005, 06:39 PM
Sounds like an ADSL router to me. You should be able to share files with other people if the computers are set up to do so. You can only have control over a network usually if you are running a network server. However you can have some control over it from your routers control panel as I said....what are you trying to do with your network in terms of control?

jaywhy13
05-31-2005, 07:12 PM
When i mean control I mean I wanna set some structure to the network. We don't log into a network.. we log into the computers... could I set it up so that we could log in to a common domain setting this pc as the administrator?

JamieR
05-31-2005, 07:53 PM
You can set up a network domain through a network server.

wabirdman
06-01-2005, 05:44 AM
There is a wizard you can use to set up the network

Start / Settings / Network and Dial Up Connections / Make New Connection

Just follow the wizard to create a network and then you should be ok. You will have to do this on both PC's. Its best to do this first on the PC that has the modem connected to it.

wabirdman

jaywhy13
06-06-2005, 02:42 PM
There is a wizard you can use to set up the network

Start / Settings / Network and Dial Up Connections / Make New Connection

Just follow the wizard to create a network and then you should be ok. You will have to do this on both PC's. Its best to do this first on the PC that has the modem connected to it.

wabirdman

Understand this... the modem is not independently connected to any one computer. All computers are connected to the modem via network cables. We can already see each other on the network and we can share files and printers and all that.... I'm just interested in administrating the network now. How would I do that

JamieR
06-06-2005, 02:48 PM
Understand this... the modem is not independently connected to any one computer. All computers are connected to the modem via network cables. We can already see each other on the network and we can share files and printers and all that.... I'm just interested in administrating the network now. How would I do that

Get yourself a server operating system so you can administer the network....then join your server PC to the network.

jaywhy13
06-06-2005, 03:13 PM
Get yourself a server operating system so you can administer the network....then join your server PC to the network.

You're sayin that i can't do that with my current version of win2k?

JamieR
06-08-2005, 04:10 PM
Well unless I'm wrong, I believe there are a few other network admin. tools around which run from your current version of your operating system, however to properly administrate a network, you need to get a server operating system.

Jamie.

jaywhy13
06-08-2005, 08:10 PM
Getting another OS or server computer is out of the question.... I have not the resources to do so. So should I stop aspiring or is there a way with my putt puut win2k? :confused:

EZ Archive Ads Plugin for vBulletin Copyright 2006 Computer Help Forum