View Full Version : What Antivirus Software do you use?

tboss132
05-11-2005, 06:15 PM
Please let's know your views about antivirus software and why you would choose one over the other. Thanks

gsnedders
05-11-2005, 06:25 PM
I don't use any... So I can't vote for any in that poll :|

metalguy639
05-11-2005, 06:33 PM
I use AVG because it uses less resources than norton. I really hate norton personally :(

MP

JamieR
05-11-2005, 08:14 PM
I use AVG mainly, but I have NOD32 and Sophos here, just not installed.

Jason
05-11-2005, 10:22 PM
I use both AVG and norton 2k...I never wanted to upgrade to anything newer of norton cause they went down hill...

Jason

Spookster
05-12-2005, 12:04 AM
I use Linux and don't use any antivirus software.

:eek: I hope I don't get any viruses. :D

Basscyst
05-12-2005, 12:58 AM
I use NAV 2003, just the AV though System Works is a whole lot o' garbage.

Basscyst

JamieR
05-12-2005, 11:21 AM
I use AVG because I didn't like Norton - IMO Norton, as you probably know, is evil :p

Auriga
05-12-2005, 11:52 AM
Linux! - The best anti-virus you can get!

FC3! - w00tness! :thumbsup:

oracleguy
05-12-2005, 08:14 PM
I use VirusScan Enterprise version 7, I like it just for the fact it doesn't have any of the crap that the retail versions have, it does just what I need.

Crake
05-12-2005, 08:39 PM
:D i have avg

rynox
05-12-2005, 09:34 PM
I use both AVG and norton 2k...I never wanted to upgrade to anything newer of norton cause they went down hill...

Jason

Why on earth do you use two? Should I be using 2?

I accidentally voted Norton. I actually use McAfee.

paulhicks
05-13-2005, 01:56 AM
I used to refuse to use Norton, and used panda antivirus. Until I got infected with something that formatting 10 times and 5 other antivirus programs wouldn't fix. Then I gave in and installed Norton it got rid of it.

tboss132
05-13-2005, 08:43 AM
I used to refuse to use Norton, and used panda antivirus. Until I got infected with something that formatting 10 times and 5 other antivirus programs wouldn't fix. Then I gave in and installed Norton it got rid of it.
It probably affected your boot sector because formatting is about the best antivirus I know :D

Auriga
05-13-2005, 08:44 AM

Jason

You should not have two installed! - Just one!

metalguy639
05-13-2005, 06:42 PM
You should not have two installed! - Just one!

Yeah insatlling 2 can bring up some serious compatiblility problems that you could probably do without :D

MP

whackaxe
05-13-2005, 09:08 PM
don't use one. a virus wouldn't be all that bad in my case. might prompt my parents to get a new PC (that, or whenever you can't get a word processor and browser for a 400mghz Win98 machine :( )

craigt56
05-14-2005, 04:52 PM
AVG does an excellent job. A squared is just to make sure that I double my efforts at keeping the cyber trash away. I'm so sick of fighting all of this stuff that I'm in the process of just getting on the internet only when I have to and then taking the computer complely offline. Let's find all of the creators of virus' and s#it and vaporize them! Some folks are working hard to take most of the fun out of surfing the net... :mad:

JamieR
05-15-2005, 12:09 AM
As much as I don't like viruses, I can see that it also sometimes brings out the bad, but creative side of programmer's minds. They just want to be creative, so create loads of BS which, if we weren't careful enough, would have to wipe off our computers all the time.

Alex Vincent
05-15-2005, 02:34 AM
I've always trusted Norton. I made a point of requesting Norton SystemWorks 2005 for my new machine.

Waffle
05-15-2005, 09:56 AM
I use McAfee VirusScan 2005. It's very good, and has good detection results.

Scanning is a bit slow (I have a very fast computer, and it's slow :P).
I tested it using eicar test, and it passed. It has also caught Trojans before they had a chance (only one when downloading a Firefox theme).

JamieR
05-15-2005, 10:05 AM
I like Systemworks - well Norton Utilities to be exact, however I've never liked NAV ;)

Unknown2
05-16-2005, 04:53 AM
I use Trend Micro PC-cillien.

It seems to work well, doesn't hog resources but does cause some minor problems with sharing files with Windows XP machines. (The files sometimes don't show in "My Network Places" - though you can still "run" the machine "\\the_black_cat"

I get it for free due to one of my jobs. :)

Mr Deck
05-16-2005, 05:01 PM
Zone Alarm firewall/av 5 a year from my ISP, I use to have Norton but it takes over your PC now runs tooooooooooooooooo sllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllow

TC MD

shadowmaniac
05-17-2005, 10:46 AM
I've had nothing but problems with any type of norton antivirus that I've used. Moved to McAfee Viruscan 2004 (or maybe it's 2005 - dunno :p ) and well so far so good. :thumbsup:

vkidv
05-18-2005, 09:58 PM
Having two Anti Virus software on your computer is fine, providing they are not both 'on access scanning' - that leads to compatibility issues.

I did have AVG and AntiVir - using AVG for On Access and both for normal scans.

mickeyy
01-13-2010, 12:18 PM
NAV2008. Excellent, does'nt slows the system like Norton 360 or like the earlier versions. Also the virus definitions on the norton official site helps a lot.

snouter
01-13-2010, 10:08 PM
I've never used anti-virus.

Never really understood why everyone has so many virus problems.

The only virus I ever got, I was doing something risky, so I was not surprised.

primefalcon
01-14-2010, 07:01 AM
I use Linux and no Antivirus

oracleguy
01-14-2010, 04:07 PM
I've never used anti-virus.

Never really understood why everyone has so many virus problems.

The only virus I ever got, I was doing something risky, so I was not surprised.

If you don't run any anti-virus software how do you know you've only gotten one virus?

I use Linux and no Antivirus

Even on Linux there can be good reason to run anti-virus, such as on file servers and email servers. That way you aren't harboring viruses for other platforms.

primefalcon
01-14-2010, 04:30 PM
@oracle
your right, I should probably install clamAv even if just to scan files before I pass them onto windows users....

snouter
01-14-2010, 08:30 PM
If you don't run any anti-virus software how do you know you've only gotten one virus?

I have run occasional scans with no issues.

I keep a pretty regular tab on my processes, and usually leave the Task Manager open. I'd notice errant CPU or network activity.

I don't click on weird things, go to weird websites, and I don't install weird stuff. Rarely use IE. Buy legit software. Reinstall windows around once a year.

Maybe I'm naive, maybe I'm stupid, but, if I have had more than one virus, it has not affected me to my knowledge.

I just have no interest in running anti-virus software. Probably a babd habit from the days of trying to make machines run leaner and meaner. My i7 920 could probably handle anti-virus without my noticing nowadays. I dunno... maybe I'll give it go?

snouter
01-14-2010, 08:32 PM
@oracle
your right, I should probably install clamAv even if just to scan files before I pass them onto windows users....

I'll go home and install clamAV and scan my box.

If I have a virus, I'll change my tune. If not, I'll stay in the dark.

Philip M
01-14-2010, 08:42 PM
I have been very satisfied for several years with avast! As I have never had a virus (as far as I know) it is hard to evaluate its effectiveness compared with others, but it certainly seems to work. A couple of times it warned me "false positive". I do like the guy who announces (at least once a day) that "The virus database has been updated".

oracleguy
01-14-2010, 08:50 PM
@oracle

Yeah in that case you don't need on access scanning, which I am not even sure clamAV supports, just on demand scanning.

primefalcon
01-15-2010, 02:25 AM
Yeah in that case you don't need on access scanning, which I am not even sure clamAV supports, just on demand scanning.
nautilus-clamscan makes using on demand scanning convenient as well, there's always avast for Linux as well, they also have a free edition as well (for home use only)

snouter
01-15-2010, 07:01 AM
3TB scanned, no viruses.

The best anti virus is the user.

I used Avast 4.8 BTW. Seems ok, but now I have Avast things all over the place, which most of why I avoid anti-virus in the first place. I'll leave it installed for a little while since it seems well behaved at the moment.

EZ Archive Ads Plugin for vBulletin Copyright 2006 Computer Help Forum