View Full Version : free smtp servers

itsonlybarney
05-02-2005, 10:19 AM
does anyone know of any free SMTP servers that i can use as my webhost has disabled the mail() function on my webserver and I'm running phpbb on it and it keeps telling me there are errors when my users post because there isnt an SMTP server available for use....

so if anyone knows of any servers which dont need usernames of passwords i wud be totally thankful.....

JamieR
05-02-2005, 11:08 AM
http://www.google.co.uk/search?q=free+smtp+server&sourceid=mozilla-search&start=0&start=0&ie=utf-8&oe=utf-8&client=firefox-a&rls=org.mozilla:en-US:official

I was going to suggest you use a smtp server from Gmail, but I'd reckon that it would need a username/password for authentication.

Why has your host disabled it......sounds like you have a crap host to me.

itsonlybarney
05-02-2005, 01:32 PM
i wud use gmail but there is user authentication.....i find it excellent except that the mail() function is disabled as it has 100MB of space, 3000MB of bandwidth, PHP, CGI, mySQL, the only problem is a google adsense banner but other than that i love it.....except it doesnt allow mail()..

JamieR
05-02-2005, 02:15 PM
Heh.....I pay 20 a year for:

500MB disk space
6GB bandwidth /m
SSH
PHP 4 (everything enabled)
MySQL 3 database
phpmyadmin mysql control panel
full ftp access
no banners
etc...

however, it has only has 1 mysql database :mad: - I'm not sure what Ollie (chilipie) has over with hostmatrix for free, but he said its better than my paid plan.

chilipie
05-02-2005, 03:58 PM
I don't have as much space or data-transfer per month as you, but it's free, the uptime is consistent and the support is really good ;) .

JamieR
05-02-2005, 04:05 PM
I don't have as much space or data-transfer per month as you, but it's free, the uptime is consistent and the support is really good ;) .

O right I see - I havent checkouted their plans yet - I need more mysql databases :mad:

EZ Archive Ads Plugin for vBulletin Copyright 2006 Computer Help Forum