View Full Version : OSX Tiger

jkd
04-30-2005, 08:16 PM
I just went out and purchased/installed the beast.

First annoyance - it erases your default browser preference and replaces it with Safari. Not hard to put it back to Camino, but still.

Other than that, it seems that antialiasing has been turned way up? And spotlight is nifty, though I wonder if it will be possible to get Spotlight to index my Thunderbird mailboxes?

JamieR
04-30-2005, 10:07 PM
I believe that Tiger contains a whole new version of Safari, so I would expect it to domineer somewhere :D

Jalenack
04-30-2005, 10:44 PM
I ordered mine from Amazon to save $35 w/ mail-in rebate. It should come this week.

The feature I'm most excited about is creating dashboard widgets...its all xhtml, css, javascript based. And you can test in Safari :) . I have a feeling I may be switching from FF to Safari soon. Safari has such a nicer feel, and http://pimpmysafari.com has some of the nice plugins I use for FF.

gsnedders
04-30-2005, 11:19 PM
They're a whole long thing about Thunderbird and Spotlight here (http://episteme.arstechnica.com/eve/ubb.x/a/tpc/f/8300945231/m/615000382731)

JamieR
05-01-2005, 12:39 AM
Geoffers, have you got your copy yet?

gsnedders
05-01-2005, 11:49 AM
Naw, shipping 3/5/05, iPod Camera Connector is slowing the order down :)

jkd
05-02-2005, 09:32 AM
More impressions:

Something in Tiger made Adium and Camino really slow. Call it a conspiracy theory, but I can't use Camino until something is changed. (Too crashy/slow, compared to in Panther when it was far superior to Safari). As for Adium, well iChat is too painful, so I'll stick with it.

The system feels more solid, but is overall slightly more sluggish. I'm sure updates will come along soon to much improve the experience.

PDF printing and viewing has been enhanced (which I use a lot in a multi-platform environment), but my friend claims X-forwarding in X11 is screwy. I can x-forward Firefox without problem, so I don't know.

The weather widget is brilliant, btw. Dashboard is mostly useless after that, so far. Shift+F12 is even more useless than Shift+expose keys... whatever.

Hopefully Camino people will undo Apple's "sabotage" before I get too used to Safari. Already had to hack the .nib files to make keyboard shortcuts more like Camino...

gsnedders
05-04-2005, 07:15 PM
Proteus hasn't been slow for me... Must just be Adium, seeming it can't be anything like libgaim, as they are both built off it...

jkd
05-04-2005, 08:25 PM
The latest Adium release seems to have fixed issues with slowness.

EZ Archive Ads Plugin for vBulletin Copyright 2006 Computer Help Forum