View Full Version : Motherboard/HD/RAM issues

04-26-2005, 11:00 PM
I'm not sure which hardware component is causing my incredibly frequent PC crashes, but I think I have it narrowed down to either the MB/HD/or RAM, although I am pretty sure its MB, let me know what you think:

Computer likes to crash when:
Copying files from one local to another (even on same PC)
I work with multiple programs at one time
I try to save a file after making 1 change to it
Sometimes on startup
Alot of other seemingly random yet critical times

Also, my mouse "jerks" onscreen aboout 2-3 times before crashes. Sometimes it will jerk around (like a really low fps would look like) and then be fine for a while, but mostly ends in a crash.

PLEASE HELP, THIS THING IS DRIVING ME NUTS! Which component do you think it is?

04-26-2005, 11:03 PM
I don't think it's the hard disk...

Have you tried replacing the RAM or testing it in another machine? Also what cooling do you have on there?

04-26-2005, 11:14 PM
Its a pretty wimped out PC, so cooling is only at 1 case fan and 1 processor fan. This computer was the best in the office a few months back, and now it freaked out and likes to freeze up alot, and both the fans are going strong, so i dont think its overheating....but that may be another alternative.

Oh yeah, another thing that makes it freeze: PLUG IN ANY USB DEVICE
It doesn't like those for some reason, which makes me think MB more than anything, but heat sounds like it could be an issue too....

04-26-2005, 11:16 PM
Are your chipset drivers installed properly?

04-26-2005, 11:59 PM
Hm...i'll reinstall those tonight...let you know how it works out. Thanks.

04-27-2005, 12:11 AM
ok..also upgrade your BIOS to the latest version :)

04-27-2005, 10:39 PM
BIOS was already current and chipset drivers reinstalled to most current versions! Problems solved: none.

Well at least I know that its not a chipset driver problem, which makes me think even more that its a hardware issue, but I still may be wrong...what next?

04-27-2005, 11:57 PM
tried testing the ram in another machine?

04-28-2005, 07:07 PM
Checking the Hard disk for errors might get you somewhere. If you are having trouble loading applications, saving files, then this might be the culprit.

Mr Deck
04-30-2005, 01:49 AM
If it's an old pc maybe needs some new paste on the Processor,sounds like its getting to hot under pressure.

I hope this helps

tc all

04-30-2005, 12:58 PM
Yeah, away from cooling paste the fan would be able to take a lot of the heat off the CPU. However, cooling paste is an effective cooling method.