View Full Version : Un-dumbify XP Explorer

StickBoy
04-26-2005, 02:16 AM
I have been using Windows 98 since forever, and I like to tweak stuff and I use Windows Explorer a lot.
Now I have a brand new computer with a fully up-to-date version of Windows XP and I am finding it to be very much programmed for the novice computer user, which is actually quite frustrating because I am not.
I have been able to make many changes to these "idiot settings", but I cannot figure out how to get Explorer (or any folders) to open and show me the left-hand pane with C: drive expanded.
In Explorer, on starting, it shows My Documents expanded. I have to click My Computer and then C: drive to get there.
Accessing the My Documents folder from the Start button menu gets the Common Tasks menu instead of the Folders list, so I have to click on the Folders button.
Now, if I click on View and Explorer Bar and click Folders, it shows the Folders in the left-pane. Then I click Tools and Folder Options... then the View tab and make sure that I have checked Remember each folder's view settings. Then I close the window and re-open it - and that Common Task list is back!
I have tried Use Windows Classic Folders, but it only shows one pane, not two. If I click the Folders button, it shows the left pane as I would like it to be, but even with Remember settings, it still doesn't remember to show the left pane when I start it again.
How do I make it keep the Folders list in the left-pane? How can I make it open with C: drive expanded (and, if possible, My Documents collapsed)?
Please and thank you.

Bry Man
04-26-2005, 03:16 AM
I have been able to make many changes to these "idiot settings", but I cannot figure out how to get Explorer (or any folders) to open and show me the left-hand pane with C: drive expanded.
In Explorer, on starting, it shows My Documents expanded. I have to click My Computer and then C: drive to get there.

You mean like when you hit the windows key + E, that brings up a my computer like window with the drive structure to the left. Itll do it everytime if you use the windows key+E trick.

Antoniohawk
04-26-2005, 03:17 AM
Is this what you're looking for? [http://www.winguides.com/registry/display.php/1113/]

codegoboom
04-26-2005, 06:15 AM
How do I make it keep the Folders list in the left-pane? How can I make it open with C: drive expanded (and, if possible, My Documents collapsed)?

The views of a folder are different than its browser bars (Folders|Search|Favorites)... so what's being 'remembered' is a view setting (Thumbnails|Tiles|Icons|List|Details).

If you want to get a folder to open with its Folders bar visible, right-click it and select "Explore".

An easy way to do this automatically (without modifying the registry) is to create a simple script; for example:

new ActiveXObject("Shell.Application").Explore("C:\\");
save as *.js

If you want this on the start menu, create a shortcut to the script, select its "Properties"... in the "Target:" field enter wscript.exe + one space --in front of the quoted path, then right click that shortcut, and select "Pin to Start menu".
Oh yeah... :D
there are also command line options (http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;EN-US;q152457) for Windows Explorer, so one could just make a shortcut with this target:
explorer.exe /e, /root, C:\

StickBoy
04-26-2005, 08:06 AM
Oh yeah... :D
there are also command line options (http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;EN-US;q152457) for Windows Explorer, so one could just make a shortcut with this target:
explorer.exe /e, /root, C:\

While this is technically what I asked for, it's not quite what I wanted. However, by removing the /root portion of the above, it gave me what I wanted.
Thanks for setting me on the right path!

StickBoy
04-26-2005, 08:07 AM
Is this what you're looking for? [http://www.winguides.com/registry/display.php/1113/]

I tried this and it changed nothing. Even restarted the computer. Regardless, I found my fix below. Thanks anyway :)

StickBoy
04-26-2005, 08:09 AM
You mean like when you hit the windows key + E, that brings up a my computer like window with the drive structure to the left. Itll do it everytime if you use the windows key+E trick.

I wish that woulda done the trick - I prefer keystrokes to mouse clicks. But this brings up, as you say, a My Computer-like interface. The problem is, I hate the My Computer interface, which is why I use Explorer. Thanks anyway :)

codegoboom
04-26-2005, 08:12 AM
Thanks for setting me on the right path!
pardon the pun :p

StickBoy
04-26-2005, 08:26 AM
pardon the pun :p

ROFL - I didn't even realize what I wrote!

EZ Archive Ads Plugin for vBulletin Copyright 2006 Computer Help Forum