View Full Version : Installing win 98 or higher OS w/o any media drives

emrys
04-05-2005, 05:23 PM
I just recently got this laptop from a friend who used to work for a hospital and they ended up installing the windows 95 OS for some reason or another. The laptop does not have a floppy or cd drive... Instead they put two batteries on it. It is a Toshiba Tecra and it has a usb port, but the drive doesn't work because windows 95 does not recognize the port, Hence i'd like try and put win 98 Se or a higher OS. Since there are no drives and the usb port doesn't work, I thought I could try and somehow install a higher Os through the printer parrallel drive using an old school external zip drive? Any suggestions/links on how to do this? Any help would be greatly appreciated!!

JamieR
04-05-2005, 05:35 PM
I wouldnt think you could do that..through the parralel port that is, as that isnt a boot device like a HDD or CD Rom drive is. Best bet would be to get a cd drive for it and install it via that way - a internal cd drive that is. Also, you could get a 2.5" IDE to 3.5" IDE converter and then attach it to a IDE channel of a desktop computer then install something like 98 or 2000.

Jamie.

dannyhayes
04-05-2005, 05:57 PM
Hi,

It is impossible to do it using a parralel port but do what Jamie said and get a cd drive and install the operating server you want.

JamieR
04-05-2005, 06:41 PM
operating server

Whats that?:confused:
do you mean Operating SYSTEM?

emrys
04-06-2005, 02:22 AM
[QUOTE=weazel]I wouldnt think you could do that..through the parralel port that is, as that isnt a boot device like a HDD or CD Rom drive is. Best bet would be to get a cd drive for it and install it via that way - a internal cd drive that is. Also, you could get a 2.5" IDE to 3.5" IDE converter and then attach it to a IDE channel of a desktop computer then install something like 98 or 2000.

So a zip drive(parallel port) isn't considered a boot device? Then is there a way to install a usb driver through the zip drive(parallel port)? I could then plug in a usb cd-rom drive and install a higher OS right?

EZ Archive Ads Plugin for vBulletin Copyright 2006 Computer Help Forum