View Full Version : Decoding encrypted line

04-04-2005, 03:59 AM
On some programs in my computer my passwords are saved, some of which i have forgot ..

ok so, ive got thus far in my quest...
****aim 5.x****

america online
AOL instant messenger

this is what i think needs to be decoded .. from what ive read its something about hash value.. i'm not pretending to know really what im talking about when it comes to this.. could some one help me please!

Here's an example..

will equal the password = "1016388"

If you dont know how to decode it, maybe you would know what language it is? That would help me too..

04-04-2005, 04:17 AM
dont really know if this helps me any.. maybe someone could help me with this?

so ive got a program that changed the reg hash into md5 hash.. which looks like this

REGISTRY HASH = Yrgd8If/zs9L/e2S7YhkwWK4HfCH/87PS/3tku2IZME=
MD5 HASH = 4CAC599331E7247A44C9EA24495E89D9

04-04-2005, 05:08 AM
you may not get a reponse to help you due to the nature of your question, we dont know what your intentions may be or even if the registry strings you are showing us are even strings from your OWN registry.

04-04-2005, 05:15 AM
well thats just great..

well can anyone link me somewhere that can help me....

04-05-2005, 12:23 AM
Well, see its not necessarily that we doubt your integrity. It is more important that this is a forum and if we help you with your problem, there isn't anything stopping someone from taking the solution and using it maliciously.

It is sort of one of those things where if you don't know how to do it or where to look, you're somewhat out of luck. Besides, cracking the encryption algorithm AIM uses is most likely a violation of the TOS you agreed to when you installed their software.

04-05-2005, 01:12 AM
what's preventing you from using Aim's "i forgot my password" feature?

04-05-2005, 07:11 PM
A Hash is just that.. a Hash. In most cases, there is no way to get the original text back since it uses a one way encryption. Information is lost in the process deliberately so that you can never get the original back. This is the principle behind MD5 hash too.

The way passwords work is:
- You enter password.
- The program hashes the password that you entered.
- It compares it with the already hashed password.

Hashed passwords are never required to be un-hashed.

04-05-2005, 09:09 PM
its all done for security (obvious)..I believe there are tools around which can un-hash, but I would'nt want to post any more info on this forum just in case they are illegal.