View Full Version : dailing into my computer.....

itsonlybarney
03-31-2005, 01:04 PM
i have a laptop that i use around the place...and i also have a broadband connection for my home...I was wondering if it is possible to dialup to my home computer and then use the broadband connection to connect to the internet rather than getting a dialup account as well as my broadband account.

how would i set my computer up so that i can dial into my computer at home and then use my broadband connection???

JamieR
03-31-2005, 03:45 PM
What you want to connect to your broadband connection from your laptop when you are away from the house ye?

Or if it is at home, then you can use a router etc to share your net connection.

itsonlybarney
03-31-2005, 10:22 PM
thats right....

i want to connect to broadband connection when i'm not at home as i have setup the network when i am at home....

Unit
03-31-2005, 10:26 PM
1. Connect phone modem to your computer and phone line to your modem.
2. Create a new dial-up connection (incoming). (2000/XP Pro or better needed, XP home may not work at all.)
3. Set the properties like how you want to give the IP address, etc. Typically, you just set it to DHCP.
4. Connect using laptop from anywhere using your home phone number.

itsonlybarney
04-01-2005, 09:35 AM
can you plz explain to me how to setup an incoming dialup connection?? i'm running win XP.

Unit
04-01-2005, 09:06 PM
I am not on a computer that can be used for setting this up right now. I will post it in more detail later when I get home. Here are the basic steps

go to control panel -> switch to classic view.

go to control panel -> network connections

start new connection wizard

choose set up an advanced connection

choose accept incoming connections

pick your modem

pick a user that can connect (you can create a new user account for dial-up)

These steps should get you started. leave everything else at defaults. now you can dial your home phone number from your laptop and see if it worked.

let us know.

itsonlybarney
04-04-2005, 08:58 AM
one other Q....do i have to enable internet sharing??

JamieR
04-04-2005, 10:31 AM
Yeh you do if you want to share a incoming connection via a USB modem.

itsonlybarney
04-04-2005, 12:43 PM
the computer i'm dialling into is connected to a router.....does that change anything??

JamieR
04-04-2005, 12:47 PM
then you wouldn't have to enable ICS I don't think, because the internet connection is being handled by the router.

Jamie.

itsonlybarney
04-05-2005, 04:01 AM
This would be the setup i'm trying to use:

Internet <--> router <--> home computer <--> dial-up connection <--> my laptop

so i know the router sets the IP of the home computer...but wat would setup the IP for my laptop when using the dialup connection...wud it be in the same range as the home computer of 192.168.1.x of wud it be a different one??

Unit
04-05-2005, 06:50 PM
It would be in the same subnet as the home computer. Your home computer forwards all requests from dialup side to the router by default.

btw, do you still need a detailed walkthrough? I realized that I turned off all the dependant services on my home machine since I did not need them. I will enable and set it up if you still need it.

itsonlybarney
04-06-2005, 09:43 AM
i know how to setup the incoming connection and all that i was just curious about whether i could do it and how it all worked....just for when i can actually do it...which will be in near future...

EZ Archive Ads Plugin for vBulletin Copyright 2006 Computer Help Forum