View Full Version : Entity for x with overline (average symbol)

ivy
03-22-2005, 06:30 PM
Hi guys

I need to display a mathematical symbol, the average symbol which is basically an x with an overline.

Coudl somebody tell me the entity required, for example, to display the Greek letter omega I would use Ω

I know I could use symbol font, but I would rather continue with teh way that I know (or don't in this case!!!).

I understand some browsers will have difficulty displaying this symbol but... It is to be used on an intranet (mainly) so should be fine.

Look forward to hearing from somebody...

_Aerospace_Eng_
03-22-2005, 06:48 PM
hmm i dunno if there is one, the closest i got was this

‾x
maybe you would be better of making this an image so you can ensure cross browser compatability?

ivy
03-22-2005, 06:53 PM
Hi _Aerospace_Eng_

That's the best I can do too!!! Mmmm starnge there doesn't seem to be one... Perhpas I'll hold out for a tad longer, thank you for your quick reponse...

ronaldb66
03-23-2005, 09:51 AM
You could always try and find your way through the unicode "symbol, math" collection, all eight-hunderd-and-ninety-nine of them!!!
(I tried, real hard, but got really fed up after a while; there seem to be no occurrences of the word "average" in any of the sets I've looked in).

Still, you have to check whether there's a font available that actually supports these characters -you can check this all on that site; as Aero suggested, the safest cross-browser solution would be to use either an image, or an x with an overline (symbol or through CSS).

Jero
03-23-2005, 11:10 AM
MathML anyone?

ronaldb66
03-23-2005, 11:36 AM
I went that route as well, but I got the impression it bases itself on the same unicode symbols.

Jero
03-23-2005, 11:45 AM
Hmmm, I guess a picture of the symbol would be the best solution then.

ronaldb66
03-23-2005, 11:51 AM
How does this look:

CSS:
.avg {
font-family: georgia, serif;
font-style: italic;
text-decoration: overline;
}

HTML:
<span class="avg">x</span>

ivy
03-25-2005, 07:07 PM
Hi guys,

Thank you so much for your replies... For some reason I did not receive an email advising me of the replies after my last comments...

I decided to create an image as per the [original] suggestion of _Aerospace_Eng_

However, ronaldb66 !!! You genius! In fact, I would just use the same font (Verdana, Arial) without italics as I feel they are not necessary and add the overline with css as per your suggestion.

Is the overline compatible with all browsers? I think so... Gonna check!

Thank you once again all.. And apologies for not replying sooner..

:thumbsup:

EZ Archive Ads Plugin for vBulletin Copyright 2006 Computer Help Forum