View Full Version : Brazil: Choosing an OS

cfc
03-18-2005, 06:14 AM
MIT backs Brazil's choice of Linux over Microsoft (http://news.com.com/MIT+backs+Brazil%27s+choice+of+Linux+over+Microsoft/2100-7344_3-5624130.html?tag=st_lh)

As I have not really been following Brazil's development so far I find this situation quite interesting.

MIT has it right IMO, but FUD and misinformation (two non mutually exclusive things MS does better than software) can spread easily among the computer illiterate.

ghell
03-18-2005, 03:55 PM
*shrugs* when i talk to brazilians in english it seems that most of them are just plain normal illiterate (i speak a LITTLE portuguese.. but they dont even speak real portuguese.. kinda like americans dont speak real english *hides* :D)

i agree that a country having linux as a standard would probably need a high computer-literateracy rate though, but i dont know what brazil's is :p

*looks for everyone with -BR at the end of their name and has a go at them* :rolleyes:

cfc
03-18-2005, 04:52 PM
i agree that a country having linux as a standard would probably need a high computer-literateracy rate though, but i dont know what brazil's is :p

Based on the fact that MS is offering a (further) watered-down version of Windows because of them being relatively poor, you can probably count on computer literacy being low among the people this program targets. There are user-friendly versions of Linux and the buyers probably wouldn't have to worry about getting it installed and configured, so if they choose an easier (though potentially less powerful) distribution to install on the computers Linux should be a fine choice. :)

whizard
03-18-2005, 09:24 PM
kinda like americans dont speak real english *hides* :D)

*nukes britain* :D

Dan

EZ Archive Ads Plugin for vBulletin Copyright 2006 Computer Help Forum