View Full Version : Documentation required

mlse
03-07-2005, 11:17 AM
Hi.

I am a javascript newbie (very newbie!). Can anyone recommend to me a website/book which documents the javascript language in its entireity? Coming from a C/C++/Assembly/Lisp/F77 background, what I am after is simply a reference manually which principally gives the following information:

(1) The Javascript object and coding methodologies (e.g. whether or not multiple inheritance is permitted, how to implement functional and operator overloading, which parts of a web page built-in objects provide an interface to, etc, etc).
(2) A class-based index showing the inheritance of built-in objects.
(3) A member variable and member method reference for each such object showing:
For member variables: data type, data description.
For member methods: prototype, functional description, description of return values, error conditions.
(4) Whatever else the javascript gurus who wrote said publication think is important for readers to know!

So far, I have been able to glean snippets of information on the language from websites here and there, as well as the advice of people on here (which I very much appreciate!) but I really need a complete reference!

TIA,
Mike.

jbot
03-07-2005, 12:09 PM
Hi Mike,

You sound quite skilled. Have you heard of Google? You can search for all kinds of tutorials, references, information, on it. Give it a try, you'll be pleasantly surprised.

codegoboom
03-07-2005, 12:18 PM
This may be of help, detail-wise: http://www.ecma-international.org/publications/standards/Ecma-262.htm

mlse
03-07-2005, 01:07 PM
Thanks to codegoboom - just what I was looking for! :thumbsup:

liorean
03-07-2005, 02:28 PM
mlse: There's a documentation and references sticky at the top of this forum. It contains what you need to know. However, beware that one of the oldest authorative sources, Netscape DevEdge, has been taken down by AOL. I've got the JavaScript references and guides from there saved, if you want them (ECMAScript spec aside, that's the best reference you'll find). Just give me your mail address.

Oh, and Mozilla has taken over the rights for most of that content, though I don't think it's online yet nor will it be taken online without revamping. Anyway, check out mozref.com and developer.mozilla.org for possible revived DevEdge content now and in the future.

EZ Archive Ads Plugin for vBulletin Copyright 2006 Computer Help Forum