View Full Version : Lists in IE are WAY too spaced out

grubesteak
02-24-2005, 03:52 PM
Here's a website I've been working on:

http://www.grubesteak.com/4stateAPN/

The navigational list looks great in Firefox, but if you look at it with IE, the lists get really spaced out, too much so.

Any ideas on how to give this a fix?

Thanks!

whizard
02-24-2005, 04:00 PM
Hi. I think, if you removed the display;block; from your <li>'s, it might work better.

(not sure)

Dan

ronaldb66
02-24-2005, 04:13 PM
I don't think the "display: block;" should be a problem; I do think adding an appropriate width to them for IE might help (you've got a hack to supply the correct width to compliant browsers in there, anyway), and this will certainly make the links actually fill the list items as intended (which, in IE6.0, they don't) by setting them to block display.
If all else fails, apply some temporary borders to see where your elements are at.

Also, I frown upon thigh use of a list item as a header... :D You've got a wrapper div anyway, so why not stick a couple of actual headers in front of those lists? Saves a class, is equally stylable, and slightly more semantic.

grubesteak
02-24-2005, 04:16 PM
No, that wasn't it.

Sorry, to clarify, this was to the post about removing the display: block;. That didn't work.

grubesteak
02-24-2005, 04:30 PM
I'll have to give that a try later. Oh, how I hate IE.

As far as my heading as part of a list, I did that orignally because the nav bar looked totally different. I'll have to go back and do some fixin I suppose.

mcdougals4all
02-24-2005, 04:31 PM
Try adding a height declaration here:

#navbar ul li a {
display: block; height:1em;
color: #666;
text-decoration: none;
padding: 3px;
}

ronaldb66
02-24-2005, 04:43 PM
I checked back on a test menu I did a while ago, and width: auto on the link is all IE6.0 needs; list items were set to a specific width and height (I don't know if that's even necessary), and they stack on top of eachother as intended.

You could look up the listutorial (http://www.maxdesign.com.au/presentation/listutorial/index.htm) (yeah, I know, there I go again... :rolleyes: ) for some more pointers.

grubesteak
02-24-2005, 04:46 PM
I added what you said, it didn't work.

grubesteak
02-24-2005, 04:50 PM
Thanks, mcdougals4all. That worked perfectly. Thanks again!

EZ Archive Ads Plugin for vBulletin Copyright 2006 Computer Help Forum