View Full Version : couple of questions

02-23-2005, 08:58 PM
I am looking to design a site for gamers who play in an online RPG (the text based kind, done through chat rooms). I can do most of it, but I am wanting a few things I don't know exactly how to do.

First, I would like to have each player register on my site with a player profile - something as simple as their name and email address. But then I want a 'sub-profile' where they enter their character's information; this would be a very thourough profile with probably more than 100 fields including age, height, weight, hair color, eye color, species, profession, equipment, etc., etc., etc.

I have no clue how to do that, well some clue - I can design a basic form for the data entry, but I don't know how to store it, nor how to make it work so that the players can 'log in' to the website.

For now, that is the only real thing I am stumped with - creating a profile system and allowing people to log-in to the site. Once that is going, I would like to tie the log-in to my PHPBB2 forums so that they log in to the main site and the forums automatically knows who they are, and also to the chat-room.

02-23-2005, 09:05 PM
well since we are on the subject of phpbb, you could try to go with phpnuke, which comes with a phpbb forum and a part that the user has to login to and register, would take some knowledge of php and html to modify the registration php files and templates www.phpnuke.org

02-23-2005, 10:29 PM
Please use more specific titles in the future :) .

02-24-2005, 01:21 AM
Thanks for the suggestion, Aerospace Eng. I did try installing PHPNuke, and it is a far cry from what I want. I have already designed a website, I do not want ANY of the content management which seems to me to be its main function. I simply want a way to have users sign up and enter a profile; and have that information stored in a database.

I would like it to tie into PHPBB as well, if possible, so they don't have to log in multiple times on the same site, but if that doesn't work, I can find some other work around I guess.

02-24-2005, 09:54 AM
As per posting Rule 1.2 (http://www.codingforums.com/rules.htm): do not crosspost in multiple forums; place a single post in the most appropriate forum, and if it is better suited in another one leave it to a moderator to move it.

Since the other posted is moved to the PHP forum, I'll request this one to be closed.