View Full Version : .htaccess deletes itself!?

Al200002
02-23-2005, 07:46 PM
I am using fileZilla to upload my files, and I have recently been trying to add error handling and password protection to some areas of my site, however when I upload the file, it is listed, then it tries to calculate the file size and deletes it...Is this normal on a subdomain?

Mhtml
02-24-2005, 11:32 AM
I just noticed this the other day. I'm not sure it deletes it, I think it just doesn't list it. Because using windows ftp from the console I can download the file.

JamieR
02-24-2005, 12:34 PM
by default, .htaccess isn't shown in the FTP window - in your ftp client you have to enter -al (the show all files) into the file mask box. I don't know where to type in that command in any other ftp client.

Jamie.

Mhtml
02-24-2005, 12:37 PM
In filezilla just go to view > show hidden files

JamieR
02-24-2005, 12:39 PM
o right....btw, how good is filezilla? what I mean is whats the usefulness of features etc over WS_FTP Pro?

Mhtml
02-24-2005, 12:43 PM
Well I've never liked the feel of WS_FTP. Filezilla is of course open source. And it's pretty damn good I've found. I just downloaded it when I wanted to make a fresh start on my new site, I just moved to a VPS and everything so I treated myself to a whole suite of new development sofware.

JamieR
02-24-2005, 12:50 PM
cool...I might try filezilla then. However, I paid 30 for a licence for WS_FTP :o

Sayonara
02-24-2005, 01:22 PM
cool...I might try filezilla then. However, I paid 30 for a licence for WS_FTP :o
:confused:

What did you get for that?

JamieR
02-24-2005, 05:16 PM
:confused:

What did you get for that?

Well forn 30, I got a full licenced copy of WS_FTP Professional version 9. I didnt pay for the extended service agreement thing as I didn't need it:D

WS_FTP Pro is one of the best FTP clients around, in my opinion:p

Mhtml
02-24-2005, 06:38 PM
I really didn't like it. Filezilla is much cleaner, and I really like my applications to be clean in respect to their UI...I mean why work in something that is just an eyesore? It's counter-productive. Granted it's not like you have to do much in an FTP client, but still it's helpful if it's easy to navigate and doesn't look like it belongs in Win16.

I just looked up Ipswitch to see how it actually does look these days, seems like they've borrowed a bit of technology from codejock. A wise decision, still I wouldn't pay for it when I have a free alternative that does the job.

Al200002
02-24-2005, 09:36 PM
Thanks you guys :thumbsup: I see it now :D
And I agree, having tried out WS_FTP home, FileZilla is better :D
Edit number 2 :p : Also, editplus is a really good editor and it can directly upload to your site, which is cool. Editplus website (http://www.editplus.com)

Aly :D

JamieR
02-25-2005, 12:20 AM
Thanks you guys :thumbsup: I see it now :D
And I agree, having tried out WS_FTP home, FileZilla is better :D
Edit number 2 :p : Also, editplus is a really good editor and it can directly upload to your site, which is cool. Editplus website (http://www.editplus.com)

Aly :D

I still prefer WS_FTP lol - and also, BBedit can upload/ftp to your webserver if you have a mac:D

Jamie

EZ Archive Ads Plugin for vBulletin Copyright 2006 Computer Help Forum