View Full Version : can CSS hold logo and menu?

02-21-2005, 09:39 AM
I want to have every page on my site with the same logo at the top of the page, and then a horizontal menu running below it. Is it possible to put all that into an external CSS file so that if the menu items change, I only have to change the CSS file and all the pages update? If so, how?

02-21-2005, 10:15 AM
CSS is meant to control the presentation of a page. If it's the presentation of the logo and menu you're concerned with, yes, you can style those using one external style sheet for all your pages.

If you however want to store the content of that menu in one file and attach it on-the-fly to each and every page, CSS is not suitable for this purpose.

It could be done with JavaScript, but a far superior solution would be a server side approach; server side includes, when available, are one such approach, and if a server side scripting language such as ASP or PHP can be used, dynamically including external code fragments are a cinch.

02-21-2005, 11:08 AM
Or failing that, an iframe maybe. But I'd definitely not take that approach over a server side one.

02-21-2005, 11:44 AM
thanks for the quick reply, im gonna go with the php include, thanks again :)