View Full Version : Which is better

Ben@WEBProp
02-15-2005, 10:44 PM
Which is better for a centered content <div> sizing:
specified # of pixels
OR
using ems to allow resize like http://www.htmldog.com/articles/suckerfish/example/

Are there pros and cons of each or does it really matter all that much?

hemebond
02-16-2005, 12:02 AM
Use EM's

bradyj
02-16-2005, 01:18 AM
Pixels have the benefit of exact control over your page design -- which, on occassion, I have a need to.
EM's allow for the flexibility of the page -- giving the user full control over the elements by resizing his/her window -- and allowing the content and the design to scale as needed.

Em's are better all around for the user and for accessibility. As a designer, who wants exact control often, I still use pixels just for that.

mindlessLemming
02-16-2005, 01:50 AM
Em's allow the page to resize according to the user's font-size, meaning you will avoid the cramped look of large text squished in a fixed-width layout.
The cons of this approach include having to take a VERY different angle with your design, as images need to allow for the growing/shrinking of the entire layout.

Somewhere on htmldog.com is good write up on 'elastic' design (that's the popular term for 'em' width layouts)

Hehe, got ya Brady:

EM's allow for the flexibility of the page -- giving the user full control over the elements by resizing his/her window

WRONG :P... '%' width adjusts with browser size, not 'em'.
I'm allowed to give Brady hell, it's part of our contract ;)

EZ Archive Ads Plugin for vBulletin Copyright 2006 Computer Help Forum