View Full Version : div help required

02-11-2005, 06:59 AM
Hi all,

I use <div> tag in a simple page, which works well with IE and Firefox, but not with Netscape. Any alternative tag which will work in all the three?

Thanks in advance

02-11-2005, 07:30 AM
<div> tag not working? :eek: i've never heard such a thing it should work in any browser, can you post the rest of your code for us to look at or even maybe a link, FF and Netscape are similar so it should work in both but i dont see any reason why it doesn't work at all, are u using the closing div tag?

02-11-2005, 07:33 AM
for some reason unbeknownst to me, some old-school web designers have a distrust of the <div> tag. The <div> tag itself is 100% compatible and compliant, but its usually the css behind div tags that can make it not work. Try validating your code, and also tell us what version of netscape. If you're talking about netscape 4, don't even bother. That browser is so terrible and the usage is less than 0.1% of all users. Please post more information

02-11-2005, 10:10 AM
"My car won't start. Can you help me? It's a blue one."

Do you seriously expect any useful assistance when you supply no information to go on?
Give us page markup, stylesheet, browser(s) used, including version information, etc.

02-11-2005, 11:56 AM
in fact i was using innerHTML property of the div element to change the contents.

It was like <div id ="bt1"></div>

later when i tried bt1.innerHTML to add a button, it didn't work for Netscape. I got it working with getElementById("bt21").innerHTML

02-11-2005, 12:08 PM
lol y didn't u say u were using innerHTML we could have told you what you had to use for it to work

02-11-2005, 12:16 PM
See? That was some vital info!
I'm no JavaScript expert by far, but a little swift googling seems to confirm that the innerHTML property is not reliably supported by all browsers; I must say that I'm slightly surprised that FireFox does, actually.

Anyway: glad you got it worked out.

You beat me to the punch, Aero; then again, what'ya expect with those rockets and all... :D