View Full Version : Help With ColdFusion - Getting Started?

Confused!
02-02-2005, 05:16 PM
Hi everyone, I just nstalled ColdFusion MX onto my computer but I have no idea how to get started in order to test my pages. For example, where do I save my CFM files and what link do I use in a browser to view these files? I know this is very dumb but any help would be greatly appreciated as I am a total newbie.

Thanks!! :)

JamieR
02-02-2005, 07:53 PM
What do you exactly mean? I've never used Coldfusion, My Macromedia use ends at dreamweaver and homesite! Anyhow, I would think that you open your cfm files from any folder with your default browser as Coldfusion would be running on your system, but as I say, I have no experience with it myself.

HTH
Jamie.

Confused!
02-02-2005, 08:38 PM
What do you exactly mean? I've never used Coldfusion, My Macromedia use ends at dreamweaver and homesite! Anyhow, I would think that you open your cfm files from any folder with your default browser as Coldfusion would be running on your system, but as I say, I have no experience with it myself.

HTH
Jamie.

Nah, there would be a location such as 'localhost' or something but I can't figure it all out. It's not very intuitive with this side of things. Thanks for your help though.

Anyone else got any ideas?

JamieR
02-02-2005, 08:46 PM
Wouldnt it be something like http://localhost/cfdocs/mywork - mywork being C:\cfdocs\mywork ?

btw: http://www.google.co.uk/search?hl=en&client=firefox-a&rls=org.mozilla%3Aen-GB%3Aofficial&q=running+coldfusion+localhost&btnG=Search&meta=

Jamie.

oracleguy
02-02-2005, 09:39 PM
The only way I've used ColdConFusion is installing onto IIS. It's just like PHP, you install it and then your pretty much set to go. Setup a website in IIS and just put your files there and view them through your browser.

JamieR
02-03-2005, 12:31 AM
I would have thought that you could run it straight from your browser like you would do with PHP...but how different are PHP and Coldfusion in terms of running locally?..... :eek:

rmedek
02-03-2005, 12:53 AM
I would have thought that you could run it straight from your browser like you would do with PHP...but how different are PHP and Coldfusion in terms of running locally?..... :eek:
Well, both PHP and ColdFusion are server-side programs. The browser interprets the results of a program processed at the server-side. So, if you're running locally you'd need a server of some sort (Apache on OSX anyone? :D) to parse the programs for you. And to do that you'd need to install the program on the server.

I should add CF won't work on my Apache/OSX bit, but PHP would. I believe CF is Windows only....

JamieR
02-03-2005, 01:22 AM
Well, both PHP and ColdFusion are server-side programs. The browser interprets the results of a program processed at the server-side. So, if you're running locally you'd need a server of some sort (Apache on OSX anyone? :D) to parse the programs for you. And to do that you'd need to install the program on the server.

I should add CF won't work on my Apache/OSX bit, but PHP would. I believe CF is Windows only....

There is a Mac version of Coldfusion. I would think that you would be able to run the Coldfusion files locally with no problem as CF should already be running when you launch your browser (or I would have thought).

I have Apache on My Mac, but I've never used it so none the wiser in that department. :D

Jamie.

Confused!
02-04-2005, 03:17 PM
I have a server, it's coldfusions own in built one. But my problem still remains, I don't know WHERE to save my files AND HOW I view them. Please help.

tboss132
02-04-2005, 06:15 PM
Doesn't Cold Fusion come with a help file or something? I remember nobody taught me how to use IIS. I learnt everything by going through the iis help...

JamieR
02-05-2005, 10:42 PM
I have never liked the thought of cold fusion, I just stick to PHP :)

Noodles24
02-08-2005, 02:38 AM
Cold fusion and PHP should be similar to use, both are server side

have a look in the CFusionMX directory you installed, there should be a wwwroot directory, this should be where you put your cold fusion files. You should then be able to access them by going to http://localhost/filename.cfm

I'm only guessing here as I've only ever used cold fusion through IIS, apache or PWS

EZ Archive Ads Plugin for vBulletin Copyright 2006 Computer Help Forum