View Full Version : Timeout - Urgent help pl.

01-26-2005, 10:33 PM
I have a 3-tier ASP application. The back end is a SQL Server. However, sometimes the page times out. The SP its failing is basically a select statement on the table. This error does not happen frequently. But its very frustrating, since it is a time critical application. The error msg is reproduced below :

The page cannot be displayed
There is a problem with the page you are trying to reach and it cannot be displayed.

Please try the following:

Click the Refresh button, or try again later.

Open the intra home page, and then look for links to the information you want.
HTTP 500.100 - Internal Server Error - ASP error
Internet Information Services

Technical Information (for support personnel)

Error Type:
Microsoft OLE DB Provider for SQL Server (0x80040E21)
Multiple-step OLE DB operation generated errors. Check each OLE DB status value, if available. No work was done.
/weblock/LORefreshedLockLoanLockIn.asp, line 755

Browser Type:
Mozilla/4.0 (compatible; MSIE 6.0; Windows NT 5.1; SV1; .NET CLR 1.1.4322)

POST 3096 bytes to /weblock/LORefreshedLockLoanLockIn.asp

I am fairly certain that this is a SQL related issue. Is there a way to increase the time for the method to return a recordset back??

The method (VB) is below :

With RsBumps
.ActiveConnection = CONNECTION_STRING_SQL3
.CursorLocation = adUseServer
.CursorType = adOpenStatic
.LockType = adLockReadOnly
.CacheSize = 1
.Source = "EXECUTE udsp_RateBumpsProdCode '" & Trim(strProductCode) & "', '" & Trim(Loan_Number) & "', " & LTV & ", " & CLTV & ", " & FICOScore & ", " & DocType & ", '" & PurpCode & "', '" & PropType & "', '" & Occupancy & "', " & Units & ", '" & RateSheetDate & "', " & strAmt & ", " & Term & " "
End With

Thanks in advance for the reply.

01-26-2005, 11:50 PM
Have you tried turning off show friendly HTTP errors in your browser, under Tools, Internet Options, Advanced. "In Internet Explorer."

This will help with debugging, and it will show you exactly where the error is. I have found this very very useful.

01-27-2005, 09:17 AM
Also if you are using IIS, you should be able to check your error logs somewhere. I'm not sure where that is, but they should provide more information.

01-27-2005, 11:00 AM
what connection are you using? I would try to use a different connection type.

01-27-2005, 03:38 PM
erm.. prob a silly thing to ask but you have all the adovbs.inc constant enums declared?

try using

01-27-2005, 04:26 PM
Multiple-step OLE DB operation generated errors.

this tells me, the stored procedure has to be examined to see what's going wrong in this case.

Try to make the error reproducable, with combinations of parameters passed to the SP. Then execute the SP in a query analyzer step by step to see the intermediate results (if there are any)

01-27-2005, 08:57 PM
what connection are you using? I would try to use a different connection type.

Below is my connection string.

'Microsoft Activex Data Objects 2.6 Library
'COM+ Services Type Library
'Visual Basic Runtime Objects And Procedures

Private Const CONNECTION_STRING_SQL3 = "Provider=SQLOLEDB.1;" _
& "Integrated Security=SSPI;Persist Security Info=False;Initial Catalog=Secondary; Data Source=SQL-LAB\SQL3"