View Full Version : Most efficient code to retrieve a cookie value?

WA
01-21-2005, 01:32 PM
So I've been using the function:

function get_cookie(Name) {
var search = Name + "="
var returnvalue = "";
if (document.cookie.length > 0) {
offset = document.cookie.indexOf(search)
if (offset != -1) {
offset += search.length
end = document.cookie.indexOf(";", offset);
if (end == -1) end = document.cookie.length;
returnvalue=unescape(document.cookie.substring(offset, end))
}
}
return returnvalue;
}

//ie: get_cookie("username")
to retrieve the value of a cookie in a name/value pair. I'm looking to roll my own soon using regular expressions, since the above is too chunky IMO. But I'm posting to see if anyone else wants to take a stab first. Just from the look of it I'm thinking just one line of code using regular expressions should do it.

The RE techniques used should be as cross browser/ OS functional as possible. I've seen RE that don't work in IE5, for example. So whoever's got some time on their hands...

jmccaskill
01-21-2005, 02:30 PM
I didn't test this very thoroughly, but it worked for a quick test in Mozilla and IE5-6. sorry, those are the only browers I have.

function get_cookie(Name)
{
return (document.cookie.match(new RegExp(Name + "=([^;]+)"))) ? unescape(RegExp.$1) : "";
}

Willy Duitt
01-21-2005, 02:41 PM
Mines much the same but also checks for end of string in the event of multiple name/value pairs and the last pair is not followed by a comma seperator... But I like jmccaskill's use of the ternary better...

<script type="text/javascript">
document.cookie='username=willy,password=test'; alert(document.cookie);
function getCookie(name){
if(document.cookie && new RegExp('('+name+'=[a-z]+)(?=,|\$)','gi').test(document.cookie)){
alert(RegExp.$1);
} else alert('Not Present');
}
</script>
</head>

<body onload="getCookie('password');getCookie('username')">

......Willy

WA
01-22-2005, 12:48 AM
Interesting codes! Gives me some inspiration and direction. I'm going to try and come up with my own and post it here, and also test out your versions later.

EZ Archive Ads Plugin for vBulletin Copyright 2006 Computer Help Forum