View Full Version : How to save page with textarea info offline

sbattaio
01-17-2005, 06:42 PM
Hi-

Simple question that may require a complex answer...

I am setting up a student web page where they view an image and make comments about it. I would like to have them make the comments directly on the web page that contains the image they are viewing and then be able to save the page, complete with comments in the textarea, for offline viewing/printing. So far the only way I have found of inputting text on the page is by using a textarea form. However, this text cannot be printed out nor can it be saved/viewed offline within the web page itself. It must be copied/pasted to a separate program such as Notepad or Word, and that defeats the whole intent of this activity. Is there any other way to do this? Is there a javascript that can handle what I'm trying to accomplish? Any suggestions would be appreciated. Thanks in advance!

-=SB

Philip M
01-17-2005, 07:29 PM
JavaScript cannot write to or read from files. Only server-side languages
such as Perl, PHP and ASP can do this.

Why is it that almost every first-time poster includes "Thanks in advance"?
Please be good enough to thank people for helping you afterwards, and not before.

codegoboom
01-17-2005, 08:15 PM
Internet Explorer implements persistence (http://msdn.microsoft.com/workshop/author/persistence/persistence_ovw_entry.asp) mechanisms (such as the saveSnapshot object/behavior).

sbattaio
01-17-2005, 08:18 PM
Thank you for the help. By the way, "Thanks in advance" is just a polite expression. It has been my experience when assisting other people in a forum they may post "Thanks in advance" in their original mesage which is then followed-up with a direct "Thank you" after they have been helped. Personally I've never had a problem with it.

dniwebdesign
01-17-2005, 08:20 PM
I don't see why there would be a problem with it.

sbattaio
01-17-2005, 09:54 PM
Hey Codegoboom-

Thanks for the help! I read the MS tech page from your post and also picked up a few more off the MS site. That is just what I needed. Security concerns will not be an issue with this particular application of "savesnapshot".

jbot
01-18-2005, 11:11 AM
"Thanks in advance" is just a polite expression. It has been my experience when assisting other people in a forum they may post "Thanks in advance" in their original mesage which is then followed-up with a direct "Thank you" after they have been helped.

yes, but many don't. they just expect you to help them no questions asked. like it's your duty to attend to them whatever else is happening. that really puts my back up.

Willy Duitt
01-18-2005, 11:20 AM
Thanking in advance is helpful when you cross-post your questions on multiple forums and know that you will not return to acknowledge replies on any given forum once you find the solution elsewhere... :rolleyes:

http://forum.weborum.com/index.php?showtopic=2424&hl=

.....Willy

jbot
01-18-2005, 11:32 AM
Thanking in advance is helpful when you cross-post your questions on multiple forums and know that you will not return to acknowledge replies on any given forum once you find the solution elsewhere.

that would be why it's never been a problem to him, then. ;)

Philip M
01-18-2005, 07:43 PM
yes, but many don't. they just expect you to help them no questions asked. like it's your duty to attend to them whatever else is happening. that really puts my back up.

Quite so, jbot! Thank you for your comment. That is exactly my point - they seem to take your assistance for granted. In my view it is plain rude, and doubly so for a newcomer to the forum.

EZ Archive Ads Plugin for vBulletin Copyright 2006 Computer Help Forum