View Full Version : Database entry valid?

jaywhy13
01-13-2005, 06:29 AM
Is there a way or a function that I could use to check a user's entry before submitting it to the database? i mean is there a way that I can scan the user's entry for all characters that would be illegal for database storage?

And i don't mean like simple form validation where you check to see that the user entered text and not numbers for example.

I mean like a big text area that you plan to store as a memo field. How can you know that the entry willl be valid?

ghell
01-13-2005, 03:45 PM
you can see if they have entered only valid characters by using InStr and Asc(i) in a loop.. something like this

strTextToBeChecked = "hello $ how are you today jy13?"

blnIllegalChars = False
For i = Chr(A) to Chr(Z)
If InStr(UCase(strTextToBeChecked), Asc(i)) Then blnIllegalChars = True
Next

If blnIllegalChars = True Then
Response.Write "illegal chars entered!"
Else
Response.Write strTextToBeChecked
End Ifthis checks letters only, you could change this to include numbers or whatever, i just cant remember which numbers should be included, you could also check this against lowercase characters or whatever

jaywhy13
01-13-2005, 04:05 PM
It gives me this error: :confused:

Error Type:
Microsoft VBScript runtime (0x800A000D)
Type mismatch: '[string: ""]'
/thegroupgenesis/tests/testing2.asp, line 8

Oh and please remember that the database will permit the use of characters that fall outside of the A - Z range as in some characters are allowed in the database.... but others are not. :)

What I wanna find out is filtering out those are not :thumbsup:

ghell
01-14-2005, 08:51 AM
yea, i didnt test it and i said you should change it to include the right characters.. its probably an error on Chr(A) should be Chr("A")

i cant test from college :p

my point was its probably smaller to loop through these than loop through the string, using instr instead of looping with mid etc which is what a lot of people do.. im just showing a not too unefficient way of doing it, as it only has a max of 255 itterations, you could probably do a - 9 or something liek that, and then to ^ or whatever like that in a separate loop, just grouping them together as you can, i cant say wht to use 'cos i dont know the numbers and i dont know what characters you want to be illegal :p

jaywhy13
01-14-2005, 12:12 PM
thanks for your help thus far.... :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup: but this really has nothing to do with what characters I want to be illegal, rather it has Everything to do with the characters that are illegal in MS Access.

The problem has been plaguing me...... I write some text, copy one or two symbols... and then my page doesn't load and I get a nasty access error instead....

So I know that there are characters that are illegal... i want users to be able to use all the symbols that are legal.... but prompt them when they are using symbols that aren't legal

EZ Archive Ads Plugin for vBulletin Copyright 2006 Computer Help Forum