View Full Version : Looking for a way to print two frames of six

mfeglae
01-12-2005, 08:00 PM
My current website design consists of 6 frames, but when printing, I want only two of the frames to go to the printer. Is this possible? I would like our logo and contact info to print with the shown material...it seems like a reasonable request! All help is much appreciated!! :(

_Aerospace_Eng_
01-12-2005, 09:32 PM
a link to ur site would help

rmedek
01-12-2005, 09:45 PM
use different stylesheets for screen and print:

<link rel="stylesheet" type="text/css" media="screen" href="style.css" />
<link rel="stylesheet" type="text/css" media="print" href="print.css" />

In your print CSS, assign "display: none" to the IDs you want to remain hidden.

mfeglae
01-12-2005, 10:45 PM
Is this my only option? I have avoided style sheets for the whole setup...I was hoping I could just put in some code and have it work. If necessary, I will rework the site for css and do as suggested. I am not familar with css, but I will do whatever I need. I would really like this to print nicely. :rolleyes:

chilipie
01-12-2005, 10:50 PM
Assign an id to a frame:

id="navigation"

Tell the print style sheet not to display it:

<style type="text/css" media="print">
#navigation {
display: none;
}
</style>

rmedek
01-13-2005, 02:07 AM
I have avoided style sheets for the whole setup...

Why on earth would you do that?! This is just the kind of stuff CSS was made for.

Eskimo
01-13-2005, 08:21 AM
Ummm...

Six frames?
Wow.

How about a link? It helps us out a lot.

ronaldb66
01-13-2005, 09:32 AM
You have "avoided stylesheets" but are using six frames to conjure up a page... *sigh*
Apart from the above CSS methods, I don't see any other way to just print two frames of six; this sort of problem is just one of the reasons why so very few sites still use frames nowadays.

Do yourself a very, very big favour and start learning about CSS right after reading this post; once you'll get the hang of it, you'll be amazed of its possibilities.

mfeglae
01-13-2005, 03:11 PM
:o OK, so I'm a bit embarrassed, but when I learned HTML a few years back, they weren't teaching CSS. I will look more into it and hopefully I can change around the site a bit without losing too much time. I appreciate the suggestions! Oh, and I would give a link to the site, but I have no where to put it up yet...it is replacing another terrible site! Thanks, again!

musher
01-13-2005, 03:36 PM
I use the same methode as Chilly
This is some of the CSS from a page that is set up with 3 columns, header and footer.

CSS to set up 3 divisions (columns)

#leftcol{
width:150px;
float:left;
position:relative;
margin-left:-150px;
margin-right:1px;
}
#maincol{
float: left;
width: 100%;
position: relative;
margin: 0 -8px 0 -2px;
}
#rightcol{
/*/*/ width:150px; /* hack keeps NN4 right column right? */
float:right;
position:relative;
margin-right:-150px;
margin-left:1px;
}

CSS to turn off printing on left & right divisions (columns)

/*printer styles*/
@media print{
/*hide the left column when printing*/
#leftcol{display:none;}
#outer{border-left:0;}

/*hide the right column when printing*/
#rightcol{display:none;}
#outer{border-right:0;}
}

ronaldb66
01-13-2005, 04:24 PM
when I learned HTML a few years back, they weren't teaching CSS
I know... Although the first CSS recommendation was published in 1997, it took quite a few years for it to really get practical support by commonly used browsers; I started "internetting" round about 1998, learned to build table-laden, framed sites, picked up a good HTML book round about 2001, and found myself starting all over again.
I at first hesitated using CSS because of lack of support, only to find out that it was rapidly approving to a point at which it actually could be used in a practical way.

At any rate, you're always welcome in here for tips, advice, and a warm shoulder to cry out on. :thumbsup:

chilipie
01-13-2005, 04:31 PM
I use the same methode as Chilly
(I'm gonna do a Geoffers :p ) - it's chili not chilly ;) .

musher
01-14-2005, 06:39 AM
Sorry Chilli but the temp out today is -35 so it's CHILLY :p

mfeglae
01-14-2005, 03:10 PM
Dang that's cold! It is 28 here and I thought that was cold...but I guess I'm spoiled! I've been in Albuquerque for over a year now, and I would not trade it for anything!! I moved from northern Michigan, so I feel the chill! :D

musher
01-14-2005, 03:24 PM
WHAT mfeglae
You lived in northern Michigan and MOVED! :eek:
are you crazy or what I would give me 1st, 2nd and 3rd child to live in the U.P. (hehe). Actualy our main kennel is up in northern Michigan so some day I hope to move up there (they get a heck of a lot more snow then we do).

mfeglae
01-14-2005, 11:42 PM
Wow! That is some rough, tough weather you enjoy! I'm not sure that I miss it yet, just seemed a bit too much after spending four years in college in West Virginia. But then again, my hobbies don't include sled riding with those beautiful dogs! My labs aren't really the cold weather types!

EZ Archive Ads Plugin for vBulletin Copyright 2006 Computer Help Forum