View Full Version : Include files without global.asa

jaywhy13
01-06-2005, 09:39 PM
Can i use the include command if the server i am using does not support the global.asa file?

gwendaal
01-07-2005, 11:19 AM
yes of course
but asp without session is like a girl without permission access

Roelf
01-07-2005, 12:41 PM
but the fact that global.asa cannot be used is not directly followed by the fact that Session cannot be used.

<note to="self">remember gwendaals "is like .." example</note>

gwendaal
01-07-2005, 12:55 PM
you can of course use session and application in your applications without any global.asax or asa ... I nearlly never use this kind of files

jaywhy13
01-07-2005, 02:32 PM
So are you saying that I can use like the Session Abandon function and can create session variables without the global.asa file? Thing is, I think i was reading on w3schools

Thus far I've been able to use the session ID but I didn't think that that meant I could use the other session functions...

The fact that I can use the session id, does that indicate that I can use the other session functions?

I know gwendaal, please don't rub it in... :o :o

My server's position:
Global.asa is not supported due to our system setup.

http://www.w3schools.com/asp/asp_globalasa.asp
The Global.asa file can contain only the following:

Application events
Session events
<object> declarations
TypeLibrary declarations
the #include directive

Thing is, I would use session variables in my code but I have to be sure that I can use the session_on end function to delete all those variables

gwendaal
01-07-2005, 02:45 PM
don't worry when session end the variables are killed

juste try in a test page

<%
Session("test") = 10

Response.Write(Session("test"))
%>

and you will see

ghell
01-07-2005, 02:58 PM
wasnt the question about includes? i think you can still use <!--#include file="..."-->
but if not just use Server.Execute("...") :)

hope this helps

jaywhy13
01-07-2005, 03:02 PM
I'm not worried about removing the session variables, I want to do a database operation when the session ends......

I tried your lil example.... thanks alot man.... but can I how do I find out if I can use the session_on end function to do a database operation?

And on which page would I use the session on end function if I can use it?

Thing is, I write in my database some user variables when the user enters the site... when the user leaves the site I want to delete those variables from the database.

EZ Archive Ads Plugin for vBulletin Copyright 2006 Computer Help Forum