View Full Version : C++ Learning?

dniwebdesign
01-05-2005, 06:34 AM
I would like to learn some C++ or C or whatever one is best. Where would be a good place to start? Can a C++ program interact with a MySQL Database? So if I want a program to interact with a database so users information is updated easily (such as a billing program or something), is that possible? But as for know where would be a good place to start for someone with no experice in programming except with noob Java (taked 2 first year university courses). Thanks

Jason
01-05-2005, 08:49 PM
C++ would be better for you to start with than C and yes, it works with MySQL or so Ive heard. The link below has some tutorials. It is also above this thread.

http://www.codingforums.com/showthread.php?t=40778

Jason

JamieR
01-05-2005, 09:58 PM
I would personally learn Assembler over c/c++. I've heard it's more powerful than C/C++ and easier to program. Anyhow, I'm learning it now - I scrapped all plans to learn C/C++....

JPM
01-06-2005, 10:10 PM
would personally learn Assembler over c/c++. I've heard it's more powerful than C/C++ and easier to program

I dont know any assembly at all, though I dont really think that it is more powerfull than C, it just gives you more control of the computer. I also dont think learning assmbly as an first language would be a good idea, unless all you want to do is write virii ;)

JamieR
01-06-2005, 11:19 PM
would personally learn Assembler over c/c++. I've heard it's more powerful than C/C++ and easier to program

I dont know any assembly at all, though I dont really think that it is more powerfull than C, it just gives you more control of the computer. I also dont think learning assmbly as an first language would be a good idea, unless all you want to do is write virii ;)

Well I don't know really - it depends on your views and what you want to learn. Personally I want to learn Assembler and then maybe c++ afterwards. However C++ isn't as fast as C and to get a good grip on learning c++ you need to have a knowledge of C - well a grasp of it anyhow..or so I'm told.

cwl157
01-06-2005, 11:37 PM
you can do a lot more stuff with C++ then assembly but assembly might be easier to start with than C++.

Jason
01-06-2005, 11:51 PM
you don't need to know any C to learn C++ though they are very similar. I personally started with C++ and then moved to C and I like them both but only during compile time do I remember all the syntax differences...

Jason

JamieR
01-07-2005, 12:15 AM
I think I'll stick to my original plan....assembler :p...however i might attempt to learn assembler then move to c++, depending on how thing go.

cfc
01-07-2005, 01:00 AM

C and C++ are more sophisticated than assembly, but I wouldn't want to try coding a desktop application (or any application for that matter) entirely in a language that requires me to take explicit control of all functions of every device in and attached to my computer. It's a low-level language that has its place, and it will either prove useless or impractical in comparison to C++ without a solid knowledge of at least one other programming language (such as C++) and a need to write some code that works on a low level with some device (ie interacting with a graphics card for a computer game).

hemebond
01-07-2005, 04:44 AM
However C++ isn't as fast as CThere are tests that shows there is little to no difference in runtime speed.

Brandoe85
01-07-2005, 04:47 AM
I would personally learn Assembler over c/c++. I've heard it's more powerful than C/C++ and easier to program.
I've never heard of assembler being easier than C or C++. I've heard the opposite... :rolleyes:

JamieR
01-07-2005, 10:34 AM
mmhmm...well I don't know - thats what I've heard. Anyhow, I'm going to read through some tutorials and find a few assembler compiliers so I can start learning this.... :D

JamieR
01-07-2005, 01:49 PM
There are tests that shows there is little to no difference in runtime speed.

Well from what I heard, some parts of C were faster than the equivilant in C++

cfc
01-07-2005, 07:49 PM
If there's a speed difference (which I seriously doubt there is), it's negligable. C++ compilers will compile straight C because C++ is basically C with extensions that can make programs easier and more efficient to code. If you learn C, you will basically be learning C++ without OOP and some other notable differences (ie cout and cin). They are different languages, but C++ is completely backwards compatible with C and C++ would never have been invented if C were ideal for coding modern applications. Getting a serious procedural programming perspective could either help or hinder your future (almost inevitable) understanding and application of OOP concepts, it's entirely your call.

JamieR
01-07-2005, 08:54 PM
mmh......I've never researched into C++ much apart from a few basic tutorials into the basic functions of it but after your somewhat interesting explanation, I will definatly do more research into it. However Assembler seems a better choice to create viruses (I will express this strongly - i am NOT going to do this, and have no intention to btw).

-Jamie

hemebond
01-07-2005, 09:31 PM
Okay, it's Assembly, not Assembler. Sorry, but that's annoying me.

Mhtml
01-13-2005, 03:41 PM
lol, I do get annoyed at that as well.
And as for people comparing high level with low level, I would say that perhaps you should first learn how they both work and then learn them both before you go around saying things like that. I am also pretty certain that this topic has been dismissed before in this forum. Have a search.

JamieR
01-13-2005, 04:06 PM
Okay, it's Assembly, not Assembler. Sorry, but that's annoying me.
Yes technically it is Assembly, but some people call it Assembler.

chilipie
01-13-2005, 05:18 PM
Yes technically it is Assembler, but some people call it Assembler.
Well that makes sense... :D LOL

JamieR
01-13-2005, 06:00 PM
Well that makes sense... :D LOL

definatley :thumbsup:

dniwebdesign
01-17-2005, 01:18 AM
Does anyone know how I'd go about creating a program that can add, delete, update, etc... things from a MySQL database? I am looking to make a program that can interact with a database so certain users can see things from a website. Say online bills, etc... Thanks.

aman
01-17-2005, 05:18 AM
Sure, you can write a mysql client in your choice of many languages, including C/C++, Perl, Java, .NET, PHP, Python, Ruby, etc.. and you can do it from mac, win, linux.. just check out the MySql developer pages (http://dev.mysql.com )

dniwebdesign
01-17-2005, 05:23 AM
More or less I want a windows application... One that you can open, close, save things.... etc... PHP, Perl are Web Applications... what do you recommend?

aman
01-17-2005, 09:05 AM
Well since you want a windows "application" and I have experience writing MySQL clients in C/C++, that's what I would recommend :-)

It's pretty simple actually, as long as you know C or C++ first.

If you don't know C/C++ and you just want some simple way of updating a MySQL database, then I would have to recommend PHP as the easiest way to do it (mysql functions are built into the PHP language)

dniwebdesign
01-17-2005, 09:30 AM
Well, I know very little about C or C++. I know a little Java (from University courses). I know PHP because I'm a web designer so I know I can do it from there. However I would like the Windows Application to interact with a MySQL Database. Is there any good tutorials that could get me started?

cfc
01-17-2005, 06:48 PM
I can't speak on Java database connectivity from experience, but you might want to have a look at Sun's JDBC documentation (http://java.sun.com/j2se/1.4.2/docs/guide/jdbc/) if you already know Java.

If you decide to use Java, I found a tutorial for connecting to MySQL with Java :D
http://www.javacoding.net/articles/technical/java-mysql.html

dniwebdesign
01-17-2005, 07:21 PM
I don't really want to use java as someone elses computer (a clients) or something most likely won't have Java installed so it works correctly. I'm more thinking of a universal program language that can at least connect and interact with a MySQL Database.

Brandoe85
01-17-2005, 07:34 PM
Why not make it in VB? Very simple to connect up to a database. Sounds like a good windows application to me.

aman
01-17-2005, 09:08 PM
If you're going to go through the time to learn VB first, I would say dont waste your time. Learn C/C++ instead, because it is much more powerful than VB and is platform independent (theres a reason VB is called "basic"). Also, connecting to a MySQL database with C/C++ is a piece of cake.

cfc
01-17-2005, 10:42 PM
platform independant might be a stretch, but it is much less platform dependant than VB. VB would be unneccessarily complicated to learn if you are used to C-style syntax, and it's relatively close to a dead language anyway. If you don't really care for intricately learning C++ and you don't mind your code being entirely non-portable to non-windows systems, you could try learning C++ with MFC if you grab the VC++ compiler (the compiler is free, the IDE isn't) from Microsoft. Of course, the drawback of learning C++ with MFC all at once is that you don't get the same background of the language and your ability to code C++ becomes somewhat dependant on a proprietary code library that may not have an equivalent on all systems. If I remember correctly, the MFC code (which is readily available) is also pretty inefficient.

If you don't want to bundle a JRE with your application so you can use Java, just learn C++. If you can handle it, it will prove a valuable language to know for application development. It's faster than the others because it requires no overhead, but the trade-off is that you have to do your own memory management and code tends to become larger and more complex than bitcode-interpreted and scripting languages like Java, Python, PHP, etc.

Mhtml
01-18-2005, 03:32 AM
I am pretty sure there are applications for this, I have used one before. I can't remember what it was called, but I do remember being frustrated with its lack of options lol so maybe it's not such a good idea. But you would think that in all the web you could find an application for any platform you want that would do this.

Try google if you haven't already.

aman
01-18-2005, 05:57 AM
There is always the prebuilt applications "MySQL Query Browser" and "MySQL Administrator" you can use on your windows or linux box to manage your MySQL servers.. http://www.mysql.com/products/

EZ Archive Ads Plugin for vBulletin Copyright 2006 Computer Help Forum