View Full Version : Apostrophe problem

jaywhy13
12-26-2004, 05:26 PM
Hey I created a guestbook on my site right... i'm using ASP and a MS Access database... the user message field is of "memo" field type....

It works perfectly.... but the minute you try using say an apostrophe in the guestbook i get the following error:
========================================================
Microsoft OLE DB Provider for ODBC Drivers error '80040e14'

[Microsoft][ODBC Microsoft Access Driver] Syntax error (missing operator) in query expression ''I'm just signing your guestbook')'.

Is there a way i get around that problem???

Brandoe85
12-26-2004, 05:40 PM
When you have an apostrophe the database thinks it's the end of the statement, you need to replace the string to it can be entered into a field correctly, you use the Replace function to do this:

yourVariable = Replace(yourVariable, "'", "''")

jaywhy13
12-26-2004, 07:38 PM
So thats like a funciton that traverses the entire variable and replaces the first instance of whats inside the quotes with what comes in the second quotes?
I'll try that... thnx

oracleguy
12-26-2004, 07:39 PM
Also see the sticky at the top of this forum: http://www.codingforums.com/showthread.php?t=9843

freeasphelp
12-26-2004, 08:04 PM
Read Brandoe85 comments, all you need to do is double up '

when saved in database it will have only one ', but it will save without problems

jaywhy13
12-27-2004, 04:18 AM
Thanks.... you guys are super helpful :) :) :thumbsup: .... And considering the fact that I'm just starting to learn this ASP stuff u guys have pushed me up a notch.

My Question: :confused:
I was wondering tho... To add to the efficiency of my guestbook code, are there any other characters that I need to worry about or take into consideration to prevent unexpectable errors from happening when users use the guestbook. I mean, the apostrophe problem is the only problem I've come across but surely its not the only one I need to make provisions for? :cool:

tboss132
12-27-2004, 09:22 AM
Reserved keywords:
http://msdn.microsoft.com/library/default.asp?url=/library/en-us/tsqlref/ts_ra-rz_9oj7.asp
Make sure you don't use any of those as your tablenames. That gave me quite a headache for some time.

EZ Archive Ads Plugin for vBulletin Copyright 2006 Computer Help Forum