View Full Version : grab style attribute

12-15-2004, 07:41 PM
Background: I am making a script that makes a table have a static header by just adding the script to the page and calling it with the table name.

I am using this code to apply the attributes of the orginal table to the new header table:

//Apply CSS to the static table
theOrgTable = document.getElementById(xDataGridName);
theNewTable = document.getElementById("theAddon_" + xDataGridName);
if(theOrgTable.attributes[x].nodeValue && theOrgTable.attributes[i].nodeName.toLowerCase() != "id"){

Now that works all fine and dandy except for when the person (or asp.net generated code) uses the style attribute in the table tag instead of a class.

The value that the script above says for the style attribute is 'null'

I tried to loop through the css rules for the style attribute like you should for a style sheet, but that did not work. I tried to apply the style object directly to the other style and that did not work.

Anyone have any clue on how I can access the elements inside of that style attributes object?

Willy Duitt
12-15-2004, 08:22 PM
Have you tried getComputedStyle() ??

12-15-2004, 09:04 PM
I used that along with IE equiv currentStyle.

I was not able to figure out how to access the elements of it without knowing all of the items inside the style tag.

For instance I have no clue if there is a background-color, font, color, etc. in the tag since it is generated by another process I have no control over.

I really do not want to put 25+ statements to grab the possibilities.

12-15-2004, 09:07 PM

12-15-2004, 09:41 PM
Is it possible to set one elements style equal another elements currentStyle/getComputedStyle?

12-15-2004, 10:14 PM
Okay I can get it to work in Mozilla and not IE. What a surprise!

function makeSame(elem_1, elem_2){

//IE (no-clue)
if (elem_1.currentStyle){
//output parameters to see if there is a style
for (prop in elem_1.currentStyle){
tStr += prop + " : " + elem_1.currentStyle[prop] + "<br>";
//Mozilla (works)
else if (window.getComputedStyle){
elem_1x=window.getComputedStyle(elem_1, "");
elem_2x=window.getComputedStyle(elem_2, "");
elem_2x = elem_1x;

The IE code just loops through the properties in the currentStyle object. I tried to do it the same way with Mozilla but it gives an error!

Time to go home for the day!