View Full Version : os choice screen

kwhubby
12-09-2004, 06:30 AM
Hi, I am having an issue on a computer (windows xp) were on boot there are 3 operating system choices, only one of these works. I am wondering how would I remove these choices and have the computer automatically boot on one of them. I am not on this computer but messing around on my computer I think it may have to do with boot.ini. Any help is appreciated.

sweenster
12-09-2004, 07:08 PM
if you right click on "my computer" go into "properties" then the "advanced" tab.
Go down to "startup & recovery" and click "settings".

You can change the settings in here if you see what you are looking for, or alternatively click "edit" next to the configure startup options manually. remove the 2 extra operating systems

sweenster
12-09-2004, 09:27 PM
on a related note... i'm seeing if its possible to modify boot.ini so that it will boot from win98 I still have installed on my slave drive. I've added the second line below but it doesnt seem to work. any ideas?

[boot loader]
timeout=10
default=multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WINDOWS
[operating systems]
multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WINDOWS="Microsoft Windows XP Home Edition" /fastdetect /NoExecute=OptIn
multi(0)disk(1)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WINDOWS="Microsoft Windows 98" /fastdetect /NoExecute=OptIn

Basscyst
12-09-2004, 10:38 PM
This is just theory, I pretty much have no idea what I am talking about. :p

If the OS's are installed on different physical drives, since your boot order in BIOS would look to the OS's installed on your primary 98 doesn't exist on the primary and thus it wouldn't work.

Basscyst

sweenster
12-09-2004, 10:49 PM
I did a bit of googling on this and found a nice piece of free shareware:
http://www.osloader.com/
which works very nicely. I now have it installed.

also, if you go back to my code above:

multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WINDOWS="Microsoft Windows XP Home Edition" /fastdetect /NoExecute=OptIn
multi(0)disk(1)rdisk(1)partition(1)\WINDOWS="Microsoft Windows 98"

this sort of works, but when you try to boot to win98 it fails saying it cant find any system files.

For reference:
rdisk is the number of the drive where the os is (0 - Primary IDE master, 1 - Primary IDE Slave, 2 - Secondary IDE master, 3 - Secondary IDE slave)
partition is the partition number on the disk where the os is (starts at 1)

liorean
12-11-2004, 01:52 AM
XOSL is another advanced free OS loader you might want to look into.

kwhubby
12-12-2004, 07:57 PM
Awsome thanks everybody, for some reason I didn't get an email for the replies, odd.

EZ Archive Ads Plugin for vBulletin Copyright 2006 Computer Help Forum