View Full Version : Should I learn Fortran?

iota
11-25-2004, 07:17 PM
Hi masters,

In my country, the people I have met said Fortran programming becomes obsolete. Is it true? If so, will it be useful for me to learn it for study purpose only? ie, I mean it'll be of beneficial to me in Today's technologies in some ways.
Thanks countlessly for your time to read me and valuable advice.

iota

Spookster
11-25-2004, 08:02 PM
Not useful to become proficient in it unless you plan on working at a job that requires you to work on an antiquated system however it is good as a learning tool. It is one of many older languages used in college programming courses to help teach programming.

shmoove
11-27-2004, 10:12 AM
You'll need to know Fortran if you wan't to be a Real Programmer (tm). (http://www.pbm.com/~lindahl/real.programmers.html)

:D

shmoove

tboss132
11-29-2004, 02:10 PM
Fortran is more or less obsolete Iota. However like Spookster said, it's good for learning programming. From fortran you can easily branch off to more complex programming languages. The advantage you'll have is you'll already know the basic flows in programming - so any new language you pick up you'll just learn the syntax.

Dunna
11-30-2004, 01:49 PM
If you want my advice: No.
Fortran is obsolete. I know a software engineer who knows Fortran and told me not to learn it as it would be a waste of time. I now pass the advice onto you.

Roy Sinclair
12-01-2004, 06:13 PM
Nonsense!

Fortran is not a dead language, it is very much a live and useful langauge with new applications being written in it every day. What has changed is that Fortran is no longer one of the major languages that is used for nearly any purpose any more, it is now more of a niche language used mainly for statistics, numerical processes and other math and statistical related processes.

So, if you think you'll be working in those fields or you're just curious about that language then it's probably a good idea to learn Fortran, otherwise it's safe to skip it.

mewhocorrupts
12-05-2004, 05:15 AM
Quite a few government agencies still use FORTRAN in some of their more archaic systems. I suppose the theory behind that is that it would be too expensive to replace them all, if any of them really remember how they function in the first place.

Dunna
01-10-2005, 01:28 PM
Fortran is not a dead language, it is very much a live and useful langauge with new applications being written in it every day.

I still say FORTRAN is obsolete. What new aplications are being written every day? For whom? I'd say mewhocorrupts would agree with me judging by his last post.

EZ Archive Ads Plugin for vBulletin Copyright 2006 Computer Help Forum