OK so I have created an htaccess file like this:

AuthUserFile /filepath/zips/.htpasswd
AuthGroupFile /dev/null
AuthName EnterPassword
AuthType Basic

require user publishers

and a htpasswd file like this

publishers:76/ytNYqTaaR.

The password has been obtained from the encrypter site (cant recall the domain name but it may be wrong). If I hit cancel, I get the 401 page but it shows the name of the file I was refused access to and that filename is correct.

Both files are in the folder that is to be password protected and I have checked with the ISP who tell me there are no issues with their set up to prevent the thing working.

when the dialogue box appears for entering the username and password, it just re-appears after clicking OK. I can't get access to the content of that folder.

Can anyone tell me why (ie what I'm doing wrong)?

Bazz

bazz
11-18-2004, 08:39 PM
Got it sorted. When looking for the filepath, I had looked at the error files of the wrong website. Doh!! :eek:

Bazz

jettlarue2003
11-19-2004, 12:01 AM
what kind of server u got?

jettlarue2003
11-19-2004, 12:03 AM
because stuff like that has happened to me with apach for no apparent reason

jettlarue2003
11-19-2004, 12:03 AM
*apache

chilipie
11-19-2004, 06:17 PM
jettlarue2003 - Did you know that posts can be more than one line long? And that you can edit your posts if you make a spelling mistake?

Lestat
11-19-2004, 08:11 PM
I'm also having trouble with htpasswd. I can access the .htpasswd file, and output the contents of it in to a page. When I try to enter the dir that has the .htaccess I get the popup box. I enter the info, and it repeats 3 times before giving a 401. :confused:

I've searched forums, and read some apache docsets to no avail.
URL: http://tdurl.com/ag

Thanks for any help!

bazz
11-20-2004, 09:06 PM
well I ain't an expert :eek: but if you post your .htaccess code (Hope there isn't a security risk in doing that), it may show up what's wrong. two questions though.

did you encrypt your password?
Have you defo got the filepath correct?

bazz

EZ Archive Ads Plugin for vBulletin Copyright 2006 Computer Help Forum