View Full Version : Javascript/CSS Tree Renders Improperly In Safari

calophi
10-20-2004, 10:38 PM
There is a Javascript tree put out by Netscape that renders in most of the major browsers: IE, Netscape, Mozilla, Firefox, and Camino to name a few. However, in Safari (and, I believe, Opera), instead of rendering as an expandable and collapsible tree, the menus overlap each other on a single line, making it unusable.

Example (http://media.truerwords.net/outlines/index.html)

xbCollapsibleLists.js file (http://media.truerwords.net/outlines/xbCollapsibleLists.js)

Does anyone know where in this code is causing Safari to become hung up? I'm completely baffled. I have a newer tree script that renders fine in Safari, but for the particular application I'm working on, support for older browsers is crucial and we already have a modification of this code that will work in old versions of Netscape.

Kor
10-22-2004, 11:05 AM
I would say rather that the browser detector (ua.js or smth like that) is not apopiate...

calophi
10-27-2004, 03:52 PM
Actually I discovered that Safari (and Opera for that matter) doesn't handle absolute position correctly. ::sighs::

liorean
10-27-2004, 06:54 PM
I have a hard time believing it's absolute positioning that doesn't work - it works in numerous sites out there. In that css, the only thing I would suspect them to not handle perfectly is clipping. However, I am seriously questioning the xbStyle and browser sniffer scripts. I suspect that's where your problems lie. Remember, Safari didn't even exist when the xbStyle script was last edited, and Opera was severely behind.

calophi
10-27-2004, 07:15 PM
I had done alerts to see which sections of the scripts were being called, and everything seemed to be fine. Therefore I ruled out the other extra scripts.

Once I switched all the positions to relative, the menu no longer stayed on one line, it expanded out. But it looked like crap, and the expand/collapse functions also looked bad. So it has to do with the way the absolute positioning is being used in this particular case.

EZ Archive Ads Plugin for vBulletin Copyright 2006 Computer Help Forum