View Full Version : quick favicon question

qwertyuiop
10-19-2004, 12:17 AM
hello,
one quick favicon question.
Which should be used, or which is the proper/correct one to use:
image/x-icon, image/icon, image/ico or another one? I've seen a few more than the 3 I listed.

Also, is it rel="icon" or rel="shortcut icon"?

<link rel="icon or shortcut icon" type="image/x-icon, image/icon, image/ico" href="favicon.ico" />

pb&j
10-19-2004, 01:38 AM
this is what i got (dunno for correctness or not)...

<link rel="SHORTCUT ICON" href="http://www.mydomain.com/favicon.ico" />

hemebond
10-19-2004, 02:04 AM
It should be
<link rel="icon" type="image/png" href="/images/icon.png">because PNG is cross-platform. But if you care about IE, you'll need to use... Well, I was going to show what to use for IE, but I can't get it to use the icon no matter what I do. Fudge IE, use my code above.

circusbred
10-19-2004, 03:09 AM
You know, Internet Explorer is so funky with favicons, it seems like the icon only displays after you have bookmarked the page, then it works just fine.

http://msdn.microsoft.com/workshop/Author/dhtml/howto/ShortcutIcon.asp

liorean
10-19-2004, 03:15 AM
rel should be "shortcut icon" (case insensitive)

type should be "image/x-icon" for the windows icon type, or a bitmap type for some other icon formats.

(PNG is an option, but the ICO format is actually more cross platform at the moment.)

ArcticFox
10-19-2004, 04:35 AM
It should be
<link rel="icon" type="image/png" href="/images/icon.png">because PNG is cross-platform. But if you care about IE, you'll need to use... Well, I was going to show what to use for IE, but I can't get it to use the icon no matter what I do. Fudge IE, use my code above.

LOL!

You cannot have an favicon using a .png image, it needs to be a .ico

No wonder you canít get it to show up in IE. :D

liorean
10-19-2004, 05:08 AM
LOL!

No wonder you canít get it to show up in IE. :D
Well, iew doesn't support favicons in PNG format. Big deal, it doesn't use the favicon unless you bookmark the site anyway. More irritating is that it doesn't support PNG for site icons (which require you to use the link element with the attributes I outlined in my last post), unlike the rest of the browsers.

ArcticFox
10-19-2004, 05:46 AM
So, other browsers accept .png as a favicon?

Well I'll be snickered... :D

I've given up in trying to show favicons in IE a long time ago. :mad: But it's cool to know that I don't need a .ico for the others.

hemebond
10-19-2004, 05:58 AM

No wonder you canít get it to show up in IE. :DI tested with an .ico file.

qwertyuiop
10-20-2004, 12:23 AM
so....the best way to define a favicon is:

<link rel="shortcut icon" type="image/x-icon" href="favicon.ico" />

correct?

liorean
10-20-2004, 12:43 AM
Yes, correct

EZ Archive Ads Plugin for vBulletin Copyright 2006 Computer Help Forum