View Full Version : gradient filter for Mozilla

gwendaal
10-18-2004, 11:32 AM
is there any filter like

filter: progid:DXImageTransform.Microsoft.Gradient(gradientType=0,startColorStr=#96A392,endColorStr=#ffffff) ;

for mozilla ?

-moz-opacity:0.2; ... render no gradient

if not do you know one with javascript ?

thank you

AaronW
10-18-2004, 05:30 PM
What exactly are you doing with the filter? I'm quite sure you can recreate it with images (even if it's text, as Moz supports PNG).

Edit: Here's a neat mozilla-only (Edit2: Not anymore!) example of using a PNG to create gradient opacity: http://offtone.com/scripts/gradient.html

gwendaal
10-18-2004, 06:28 PM
all the gradient images I have seens in background color are horrible there is a kind of rainbow in the colors

with the IE filter it is PERFECT .. but I need something like that for Mozilla

1px width, 405 pixel height
top color RGB(150,163,146) or #96A392
bottom color white

with the white starting at 15% of the bottom :-)))

and with a repeat-x it must be perfect ... and it is not

AaronW
10-18-2004, 06:55 PM
So wait, you're using the filter property just because you don't have a half-decent image editor?

Check out www.jasc.com, or google for "the gimp", which is free (and darn good for free).

gwendaal
10-18-2004, 08:20 PM
I have Adobe + Corel

but I haver found any gradient with foto esthetic

AaronW
10-18-2004, 09:02 PM
http://www.offtone.com/g.jpg ...

What are you using to make the gradient? Photoshop and Draw are both plenty capbable of it... No idea what you're doing wrong.

gwendaal
10-18-2004, 10:03 PM
thanks a lot AaronW

but I get the same thing than you

try to apply it in that way into a <td>

background-image:url(../images/kgrounds/g.jpg);
background-position:0% 0%;
background-repeat:repeat-x;

and you will get waves .. not really a subtil gradient

of course in local in my computer I get it

if u use

filter: progidXImageTransform.Microsoft.Gradient(gradientType=0,startColorStr=#96A392,endC olorStr=#ffffff);

the gradient is perfect

bradyj
10-18-2004, 10:17 PM
I would guess it's because you don't have your monitor set to millions of colors... but that gradient doesn't look any better than anything else I've ever seen. So again, I think AaronW pointed it out -- if you're getting waving in your artwork:
1) Monitor wacked out? If that gradient he showed you looks wavvy, then you either have a better monitor then my calibrated 21" Apple monitor here at work, or yours is not outputting properly.
2) you're not building your files right.

If you're using a gif, then of course, 256 colors may not be enough for the gradient. If you're using a png are you using 24 bit, 32 bit... hell, 48 bit? If you're using a jpeg, then maybe you need to up the quality of the output when you save it.

SVG and flash are vector -- they will obviously put out better quality gradients due to vectors type of file -- but a rasterized image can get darn close -- much closer than any normal person would arguably see.

Since you said Adobe + Corel -- does that mean Corel Draw, or Corel PhotoPaint (they also own Paint Shop Pro as of last week) and Photoshop or Illustrator... or InDesign or something else:)?

gwendaal
10-19-2004, 06:05 AM
I have adobe photoshop CS + Corel DRaw and Photopaint 12

and have 2 screen a flat one and a 21" normal a nokia Multigraph 445X pro which should be a good quality

you'r right my screen is 16 bits resolution .. I am using jpg with 5 % compression .... I have changed for 32 bits

.......................and it works fine

so ? ... i am just stupid :-))

thank you to everybody

bradyj
10-19-2004, 06:30 AM
Nah, you just didn't know -- it would've been stupid if you never asked -- all of us had to ask someone eventually:)

EZ Archive Ads Plugin for vBulletin Copyright 2006 Computer Help Forum