View Full Version : I need a cookie

08-21-2002, 10:14 PM
Hello all, I need a cookie that can customize a page based on what a user has purchased.
For instance, if they purchase product (A) then when they login, they need to be able to have a button to take them to their purchase, but at the same time keeping them out of restricted areas that they have not purchased.

I need a cookie that will do that, and a bit of explanation on how to impliment it into my HTML document.

Thank You Very Much

matthew :rolleyes:

08-21-2002, 11:28 PM
Whoa. big request. You need to provide more details.

How do customers login?
How many products?
1 product per page or multiples?
Why take them to only what they have purchased? Or do you want an order history?

08-21-2002, 11:31 PM
cookie coming right up....

08-21-2002, 11:42 PM
dude...don't do that to me before I've had dinner! :D

08-21-2002, 11:42 PM
Well, I'm going to give you all the info I currently have.
I will be doing transactions via paypal or something equivalent. There will be multiple "packages" these packages are packages of information.
There will be 6 Catagories of "packages" and each package will also have a time limit.
For example, you can buy package (b) which is good for 1 week, or package (1002b) which is good for 3 months. Then, you can also buy (if you want) package (1002c) which is good for 3 months. and so on.
PayPal (etc.) will handle the forms, and with them the login, which should take care of the time limit for the validity of the password.
Other than that, that's all I got.
Any suggestions would be great too.... hope that helps.

08-21-2002, 11:50 PM
I just thought of this: lol
I was thinking that having "invisible" buttons on the page would be the way to go... so that they buttons only "appear" if the user paid for them.
Any suggestions with that as well?

08-22-2002, 12:06 AM
Since people can disable cookies, I'd personally use a server-side scripting language and a database for something like this.

(P.S. If you do justame a favor, she might send you some really good chocolate chip cookies from Canada!)

08-22-2002, 01:13 AM
alright...... well, i have absolutely no idea how to do server side... i mean, where do i even begin?? I need a lot of help with that so any points in the correct direction would be great...

(who's justame?)

08-22-2002, 01:14 AM
btw, my server supports MySQL and CGI-bin(i'm not sure on the cgi bin, but i think it does) and I have no clue how to do any of that.....