View Full Version : I Need Help With My Form

Ricky158
08-19-2002, 01:31 AM
hi im new here, i found this forum in a yahoo search. i am only here because i have this magnificent vision on the perfect form for me, but i have no idea how to make it.

what i want is a form with only checkboxes, text boxes, and pulldown menus. but it gets a bit harder than that. when a checkbox is checked, i want the text box to be accessible. or when the checkbox is unchecked, then the text box is hidden again.

i see this kind of thing in "Terms of Agreement" pages. like you have to check a box that says you agree to the terms, then you can click the "Continue" button to proceed with the thing you were doing.

instead of a "Continue" button, i want it to be a checkbox. is this possible?

if you need more information, just ask me. or since i wont be checking this forum too often, you can email me at kenny14390@yahoo.com

if you could, please provide the JS code. i am fairly new to javascript, but i have used it before. i have made many forms before also, but this is pushing my knowledge.

THANKS!!

dsvg
08-19-2002, 03:54 AM
That shouldn't be too difficult, but how about you create the form so we can actually see exactly what we are dealing with (preferably put it online).

Ricky158
08-19-2002, 04:07 AM
well.. this would be a fairly large form. and it will take a while. i am willing to make it for u guys, but i need this info before i can make it, for it to work right.

here's a more descriptive description of what i want.

it will start off with the word "Caps" as the title of the section. then under that will be a checkbox to the left of the number "4100". then next to that, it will say "$... each". and if the person decides to check the checkbox, and they do, then a *pull-down menu* (sorry guys, i changed my mind, pull-downs are easier... a radio button thing would work also) will appear giving the user the option to select 1, 2, or 3 of the item. i can't have a simple "type as many as you want" thing, because i have a limited supply. this will basically be the entire form.

i know how to make the form, and submission buttons, etc. it's just the part where the checkbox is checked, then a new feature could be used, that confuses me. if it is absolutely necessary, i will make a form (not the entire thing) but the meat and potatoes of the thing. just let me know what i need to do. thanks.

Ricky158
08-19-2002, 04:07 PM
ahhhh... this thread is being swept away to pages beyond 1. i have made a little form with only one line of the many that i want. you can see the form here: http://angelfire.com/extreme3/waterguns/T3ST.html

if you try to submit querie, it'll say you missed a field. i dont know why, but it doesnt matter, because this is not the official form.

PLEASE! try to help me! and how do i create a dropdown menu in the format "<input type="(dropdown menu name here)"> name="dropdown_menu_result">" so basically, what goes after <input type=".... ?? also, for the checkbox thing, is there a code that i can say something like

<input type="checkbox" name="checkbox_result12" onCheck=<input type="drop down menu" name="dropdownmenu_result12">>

is that possible? or even close to anything possible? PLEASE HELP!!

dsvg
08-20-2002, 12:03 AM
Here is what I came up with.

<?xml version="1.0"?>
<!DOCTYPE html PUBLIC "-//W3C//DTD XHTML 1.0 Transitional//EN"
"http://www.w3.org/TR/xhtml1/DTD/xhtml1-transitional.dtd">
<html xmlns="http://www.w3.org/1999/xhtml">
<head>
<title>T3STING!</title>
</head>
<body>
<h1 align="left">T3STING!</h1>
<form action="/cgi-bin/choose_search" method="post">
<p>Caps<br />
<input type="checkbox" name="Cap_4100" onclick="document.forms[0].elements['engine'].disabled=!this.checked" /> 4100 Price: $2.00 each
<input type="hidden" name="matchmode" value="and" />
<select name="engine" size="1" disabled="disabled">
<option value="mixed" selected="selected">Quantity</option>
<option value="lycos">1</option>
<option value="hotbot">2</option>
<option value="mp3">3</option>
</select>
</p>
<input type="hidden" name="end_display" value="http://angelfire.com/extreme3/waterguns" />
<input type="hidden" name="required" value="email" />
<input type="hidden" name="order" value="Cap_4100, matchmode" />
<input type="hidden" name="savefile" value="visitors.txt" />
<input type="hidden" name="email_to" value="kenny14390@yahoo.com" />
<input type="submit" value="Send Feedback" />
<input type="reset" value="Clear Form" />
</form>
</body>
</html>

I hope that the section on bold is relatively cross-browser. Someone else care to comment on it?

Ricky158
08-20-2002, 01:56 AM
thanks. that code worked. and it did exactly what it should. i'm catching on with this code, and understanding how it works. and now i am adding a second option. here is how far i am as of now: http://www.angelfire.com/extreme3/waterguns/T3ST.html

my only problem now, is that when i try to submit the info, it says that not all of the fields have been filled in. see for yourself. feel free to View Source and investigate this problem.

dsvg
08-21-2002, 06:34 AM
I don't see anything in the source, so it looks like anglefire is doing some sort of server-side thing. They may have thought that it was a clever idea to validate all forms on the site, but it is going to cause you problems. I would talk to them about it if that is the site you will be using for the finished form.

Ricky158
08-21-2002, 04:23 PM
i tried emailing them once before. and since they had no catagory for me to accurately describe my problem, i had to just put "ftp help" so then they emailed me back with an automated message telling me to go see the FTP page... AHH!!!

i can try again, but i dont know if it'll work. thanks though.

and i think radio buttons would work more smoothly than a pulldown, but i can still use the cool feature you taught me. thanks

EZ Archive Ads Plugin for vBulletin Copyright 2006 Computer Help Forum