View Full Version : Using a Barcode Reader with ASP or ASP.Net

IdentityCrisis
08-24-2004, 04:32 PM
I need to at least find out if this is possible.

Has anyone else done this before? Can anyone point me in the right direction, or even post some code examples?

I already have the barcode reader, we use them with VB programs all the time... now I'm trying to find out if I can make a web-based version.

Thanks

IC

A1ien51
08-24-2004, 05:42 PM
Best bet is to look at the company's site that you have and see if it can be done. There are plenty of companies out there that have barcode tools integreated with .NET

Eric

IdentityCrisis
08-24-2004, 08:36 PM
Haven't found anything on this yet, I'll keep looking though...

If anyone else has any other suggestions or can help, I'd appreciate it greatly!

IC

Roelf
08-25-2004, 11:46 AM
If you have used the barcode reader in vb-programs, you probably referenced a dll from the vb-project. This can be done too from an asp.net project (at least in Visual Studio). But you have to realize that this dll resides on you internet-server. If you attach the reader-hardware to your client, the server cannot communicate with the reader, because the client holds no device drivers.

IdentityCrisis
08-25-2004, 05:58 PM
Yeah, I understand that - we will be able to dictate what goes on the client computers as well.

Does anyone have any experience doing this (or using any sort of external .dll with ASP/ASP.NET) ???

Thanks

IC

DaveHope
08-25-2004, 06:59 PM
I stopped developing in ASP a few years ago, but I fail to see why this would even be a SS issue. From my experiance, all barcode readers to is sent a string to an input field (in this case, I assume a form element). So, say you have the barcode: 3-333444666-9, you use the barcode reader and "3-333444666-9" would be sent to the html form, or wherevever else is the active input area.

IdentityCrisis
08-25-2004, 07:03 PM
Ahhh...

If only it were that simple... It's not even close to that basic - at least, not for our purposes.

Thanks though

IC

Roelf
08-26-2004, 01:50 PM
Yeah, I understand that - we will be able to dictate what goes on the client computers as well.

Does anyone have any experience doing this (or using any sort of external .dll with ASP/ASP.NET) ???

Thanks

IC
i have used a lot of dll's in asp and asp.net projects. It is as simple as using them in a vb-client application project. Especially when you use Visual Studio, then you have the autocomplete thing etc..

EZ Archive Ads Plugin for vBulletin Copyright 2006 Computer Help Forum